Help Me Identify This Bicycle?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, everyone!

Brand new member, here. My husband recently acquired an old bicycle that he's repainting and adding an engine to. I've spent quite a bit of time attempting to find out anything about his bike, to no avail. There's simply too much information out there to sift through. So I come to you all and ask that you help me identify anything about his bike. I'd be much obliged for any information you can give me! Thank you!

Attachments

• Doug's Bike Serial.jpg
    Doug's Bike Serial.jpg
    86.9 KB
  • Doug's Bike.jpg
    Doug's Bike.jpg
    166 KB
Welcome aboard!

That looks like a mid to late 60's Rollfast.

There are many posts here from members who have added motors to bikes. I'd search those to get some insight to things that would help with it. One of the latest ones I read was about adding rubber bushings to the mounts to help with the vibration the little motor causes.

Welcome aboard!

That looks like a mid to late 60's Rollfast.

There are many posts here from members who have added motors to bikes. I'd search those to get some insight to things that would help with it. One of the latest ones I read was about adding rubber bushings to the mounts to help with the vibration the little motor causes.
Thank you, Wildcat! I'll see if I can find any information on Rollfast serial numbers. My husband has a friend who is familiar with adding engine kits, but I'll let him know. We're just trying to find more out about the bicycle.

I think Wildcat is right, with the caveat that "Rollfast" is the house brand of HP Snyder Manufacturing, who also produced bikes with different labels for other companies. A picture of the complete rear drop-out (the part with the number that you posted before) would help to be certain.

I don't think you can find the exact manufacture date from the serial number on the Rollfast bikes from that period. It could be early 60's too. The chain wheel (sprocket) looks to be changed from the original and the chain guard is missing, but the bike looks in good shape for it's age. The forks are straight! It has the original seat, the handlegrips aren't torn up and even has the reflector on the rear fender. If the repaint on it was done without any prep, the Rollfast name may be visible on the front of the head tube and/or on the seat tube, with a little scraping and sanding. Rollfast was made by the Snyder bike company who also provided bikes to Montgomery Ward, who named them Hawthorne, but they are the same bikes.

You should start a build thread on it.

When we sanded down the forks, there was a white diamond on either side...but the diamond was elongated at the bottom point, if that makes sense? Regretfully, I didn't take a photograph of it. Thank you for the helpful information, so far!

And thank you for the welcome! We both ride mountain bikes, but this is our first foray into vintage bikes and adding an engine kit, although our friend has mounted them before. He and my husband have both found frames to rehab and convert.

Correction! I took a look at some of those twin tube Rollfast bike pics. That looks like the correct chain wheel on yours.

Also, I think that bike is a middleweight, which was outfitted with 26 x 1.75 tires. For a motorized bike, you may want a heavier frame (less flex) and 26 x 2.125 tires. But it may work great just like it is also.

Latest posts

Back