Help me repair a frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got a Monark frame from a friend and the seat tube has pulled out of the bottom bracket. I know I could weld it back, but my little flux core wire welder makes a terrible mess with all of the splatter. I was thinking that brazing might be the way to go. I don't have a oxy-acetylene torch so I was wondering if I could do it with MAPP gas. I have some Safety-Silv 15, but it isn't recomended for ferious metals. Should I try it anyway or hit the welding store for some brass brazing rod? What kind of flux do I need?

I looked at Ponytailmike's thread in the How-To manual and watched several tutorial videos on youtube. I just don't want to mess the frame up. Any suggestions or tips would be helpful.

Cameron, I would go with brazing, you'll need brass rod of course, and for flux...

Flux

Airgas has it for something like $2.40

Or... you could just bring it by and use my mig, I will be home all day tomorrow.

I had that same problem on an Elgin. I had a local frame builder fillet braze the joint as it was cracked all the way around. Fixed it like new plus it now matches the rest of the curvy joints.
0415091109-2.jpg

0415091110.jpg

Latest posts

Back