Help with BB/Crank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
As a mechanic I never worked with single piece cranks, and I'm stuck. I pulled the 3 pieces you see in my hand off, and now I can't figure out what to do next to pull the crank out. Help?

dsc1078f.jpg

Ok, figured that out. I used a spanner wrench and unscrewed a fourth piece which was the race. (The other one I have which is pulled apart isn't built the same, muct be a different type/brand)

Now that I've got it apart, how do I pull the race off the chain ring side? And how do I remove the chain ring from the crank?

Thanks!

P.S. Today is the first time in probably 15 years I've worked on a bike. The smell of grease is great! This is fun! :mrgreen:

there should be another race on the other side that is holding the chain ring in place. theres probably grooves in it similar to the first race you removed. standard threads so turn it left

On the drive side you may have to put the RH pedal arm in a vice and use a big Crescent wrench or Channel Locks to get the race moving on that side. It also unthreads clockwise looking from the non drive side. It is a bigger nut so it will slip over the non drive threads that you already took apart. Once you get that off I believe the chainring should come off with a smack from a rubber mallet.

BlackJack said:
It also unthreads clockwise looking from the non drive side.
that would be reverse thread then, right? I guess I got to put down the Heinekens, I remember it being a standard thread.

BlackJack said:
Wrong. After busting my knuckles a few times, I realized that I wasn't going to get it off with channel locks, so I attached my bench vice to my bench (a project I've been meaning to do for a couple years) and had a go. After a couple times I tried the other, normal way (lefty loosey looking from the non-drive side) and it came off.

I cleaned it up and it looks great! The chrome cleaned up easy with my wire wheel. I got the spray paint and rust off with little effort. I'm going with that crank set, as I think it's a little more solid than the other one.

Thanks for all the help gents!

CRASH said:
BlackJack said:
Wrong. After busting my knuckles a few times, I realized that I wasn't going to get it off with channel locks, so I attached my bench vice to my bench (a project I've been meaning to do for a couple years) and had a go. After a couple times I tried the other, normal way (lefty loosey looking from the non-drive side) and it came off.
:oops: Sorry about that. I had it right that it tightens in the direction that the crank is spinning but I told you the wrong direction. :oops:

All that righty tighty messes everybody up. The simple way is the pedals the crank and all the stuff
loosens to the rear and tightens turning toward the front. Can't go wrong....unless you flip it upside down. :shock:

Latest posts

Back