Help with something Kinky...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLCTVWguy

Rollin' on 20's
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not what it sounds like at first, but I did get your attention... :)

A friend at work just picked up a 3 yr old Kink Whip BMX bike. As I'm the resident bike expert, I guess, he asked me about looking at the crank.

The bottom bracket is really really loose. I don't have much (i.e. any) experience with these crank setups. All the parts are alien to me- most of what I've worked on are 1-pc cranks, and some very old 3-piece styles, some with cottered cranks.

This seems to have a locknut against the race on each side. What am I going to need to fix it, pull it out, replace bearings.... ?

I want to sound like I know what I'm doing next time I see the guy.

--Rob

NLCTVWguy said:
Not what it sounds like at first, but I did get your attention... :)

A friend at work just picked up a 3 yr old Kink Whip BMX bike. As I'm the resident bike expert, I guess, he asked me about looking at the crank.

The bottom bracket is really really loose. I don't have much (i.e. any) experience with these crank setups. All the parts are alien to me- most of what I've worked on are 1-pc cranks, and some very old 3-piece styles, some with cottered cranks.

This seems to have a locknut against the race on each side. What am I going to need to fix it, pull it out, replace bearings.... ?

I want to sound like I know what I'm doing next time I see the guy.

--Rob
Well there are 4 types of 3 piece cranks. Euro, american, spanish, and mid. This should be very helpful.
http://www.danscomp.com/serve.php?serve ... s_faqs.htm

Well this BMX crank was much simpler and similar to a 1-pc than I expected.

Rather than sealed bearings, this had a race, washer, and jam nut on the non-drive side. Longer drive spindles than any I found online too. The pedals clamp the 8-sided spline with a locking 6mm clamp bolt- if you've ever done old VW front wheel bearings, the assembly looks like the locking nut.

I was able to tighten the race in place, lock it with the jam nut, and slide the crank arm back on. No significant damage to any bearings. I've got a feeling this is the cheap side of modern BMX cranks... but anyway it's fixed and riding again.

Thanks!

--Rob

Sweet, probably one of the cheaper knock off 3 piece cranks.....(X-games bikes and other such wal-mart stuff). Good to have experience with anything and everything though.

Latest posts

Back