Hercules 10 speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I dug this out and put tires and upright handlebars on it yesterday. I've had it for about 15 years and never got it roadworthy. It has a 23 inch frame , a little too big for me, but it rides perfectly. There are only a few teeth difference between the sprockets, the pedals don't use bearings, and the derailer has rollers without teeth, and red stripes. It has sturmey archer wheels, but I can't find a date on them. serial is 279990. I don't think they kept track of their numbers though.

sw78li.jpg

2zehrpj.jpg

just got a 27 cent claridge road bike today and was kinda in the 10speed mood tonight. i really like that bike and wanna convert away from my drop bars, too. looks closely geared. thats when they could really build them.

Nice Herc! I spotted a similar Royal Scot at a bike shop recently, and I was very tempted to grab it, but the shop owner wouldn't budge on the price and wouldn't let me test ride it. :x It needed too much work, so I passed.

The Scot was gold with similar Hurrt derailleurs and the same cranks as yours, it looks real classic. Hope you enjoy the Herc!

Thanks.
The front derailer was also unique, it looks like it's too high in the frame, but it's shaped differently than the sprockets, so it has to be that high to clear them. I thought it might have been bent but it looks right. This bike rides better than my Raleigh, so it's my bike of choice for everyday riding now.

2v115p1.jpg

Latest posts

Back