hey VW guys!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have electronic ignition in two different VWs. One is in my daily driver bus and the other is in a large displacement street motor and I have been real happy. I think the brand name of the ones I have installed is Pertronix. It looks real similar to the unit that you are considering. The only difficult part of the installation was getting the gap set correctly. Once I got them dialed in they have worked great.

Looks like it is basically a Hall-Effect switch. Those been around for years. In their advetisement they are picky about the coil resistance and charging system voltage measured at the positive terminal of the coil. Might check that out. Make sure the distributor shaft is not loose or worn. Otherwise, they should work fine!!! Thanks!!!

I changed from points to Pentronix in my 1970 Volvo push-rod 4 banger and it was very trouble-free. Between that and a Webber down-draft it ran like a new car. (that sounds like a giant sewing machine)

I have the Pertronix Ignitor II for my Bug. Works great. Was doing some work on the engine a long time ago, left the coil wire off and cranked her over. Don't do that. You'll fry your ignition module, and those are expensive. :roll:

Latest posts

Back