Hi from California!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm new here, but I've been poking around. I've been biking as a commuting device for the past for or five years. Santa Barbara is very bike friendly, and I have a ten mile commute to the University where I work so I thought I'd start biking. I was previously biking off of clunkers I found off of CL, that didn't ride well. I put together my first road bike using parts sourced from ebay, an old Miyata frame. It felt really good to ride something that I put together... Since then I've put together an old Schwinn speedster with a Sturmie Kickback which is a blast to ride, but heavy as heck.

Since I've started accumulating parts I've become obsessed with belt drives. I want to convert an old spaceliner to take belt, 700c wheels and possible track or sliding dropouts (I don't ride fixed but prefer single speed/hub setups). I think it would make a lovely commuting bike. The problem is... I don't weld or braze. The local framebuilders are expensive and/or have insurance that prohibits them from upgrading frames. I'd be willing to shell out the cash to do this, but that really ruins the bike's narrative (I've worked with a lot of architects and designers in the past). Any suggestions on how to get started? I don't have a garage, my workspace is outside behind my apartment and is really small, but I'm itching to build things! I don't have a 26" spaceliner frame either...

In my past life (career) I was a Civil Engineer.
My current day job is computer engineering (graphics) and I like to draw:
http://www.onsequitur.com/

I don't really contribute to forums and avoid social media like the plague so pardon any awkwardness.

Anyway, thats me.
John

Latest posts

Back