Hi from Texas- got a new old bike and need help!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
19728_5a985dcd51b7c8b8e59d1288d9bb3841.JPG

Schwinn Hornet, balloon bike. Looks to be in pretty good condition.

Schwinn Hornet, balloon bike. Looks to be in pretty good condition.
Hey Big Ape, It was at a estate sale in an old garage right in front of a 1955 Buick, everybody was wanting the car, I wanted the bike! You think its a 1956 year model? Hoping it is thats the year I came into this wonderful world. Also I really do not know how I should proceed with it. It is missing the horn, I need one of those, and I need to know if I should go on with restoration. What to do about paint, rust, seat recover all that stuff. I want to make it exactly like it was. Any pointers?

Well, this is where the vintage bicycle world gets a little crazy. If you scrub and clean your bike and grease everything up to get it ridable, that is going to be the best option for keeping the value up. Most collectors will tell you, if it doesn't have original paint, they don't want it. Schwinn kept excellent records, so the serial will tell when it was built. Now, if the original paint thing doesn't worry you.......You can repaint and restore it to your hearts desire. If you have the time and ability to match the original paint scheme, it should look nice. Just remember that the only person that your restoration will add value to will be you.

Well, this is where the vintage bicycle world gets a little crazy. If you scrub and clean your bike and grease everything up to get it ridable, that is going to be the best option for keeping the value up. Most collectors will tell you, if it doesn't have original paint, they don't want it. Schwinn kept excellent records, so the serial will tell when it was built. Now, if the original paint thing doesn't worry you.......You can repaint and restore it to your hearts desire. If you have the time and ability to match the original paint scheme, it should look nice. Just remember that the only person that your restoration will add value to will be you.

OK Big Ape I am getting this now, the more original the better. What about rust I hate it, the luggage rack is bad, should it be painted? Leave paint on I know is the way to go but rust looks bad!
What are my chances of finding the original light (front fender), ebay or here? Could be overthinking this, maybe just clean up bike make it complete and leave the rust huh?

index.php

I am not a Schwinn authority, but I don't think that the rear rack is original, and the paint doesn't appear to exactly match the bike. I would say that you are free to play around with it all you want to. Chicago Schwinn bikes are probably the most popular out there. You should be able to find a front light.
If you are not worried about originality, I like the Phantom front light.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Pha...697531?hash=item43eb9c4b7b:g:y6wAAOSwqu9U17g9
s-l1600.jpg

It does have a plastic cover. You can find them in black plastic also, if you wanted to paint match it to the bike. I see a lot of the Hornets with Delta Rocket Ray headlights, I don't know if that would have been original equipment or not.

Last edited:
Good words of wisdom, Big Ape!

index.php

I am not a Schwinn authority, but I don't think that the rear rack is original, and the paint doesn't appear to exactly match the bike. I would say that you are free to play around with it all you want to. Chicago Schwinn bikes are probably the most popular out there. You should be able to find a front light.
If you are not worried about originality, I like the Phantom front light.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Pha...697531?hash=item43eb9c4b7b:g:y6wAAOSwqu9U17g9
s-l1600.jpg

It does have a plastic cover. You can find them in black plastic also, if you wanted to paint match it to the bike. I see a lot of the Hornets with Delta Rocket Ray headlights, I don't know if that would have been original equipment or not.

Thanks Big Ape, you are a lot of help. I appreciate the input. Got to get this all in my head. Yes rack looks like it does not belong, it was on a shelf above the bike. Will get back with some more if it is ok. The Boxer is a champ, absolutely beautiful!

Latest posts

Back