Homade Truss Forks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I wanna build my own truss bars instead of buying them for 40 plus bucks. For now I just took some parts from a springer fork. Just curious if anyone has done this, I'm sure someone has. Did you use hollow steel rods, brass, aluminum, ski poles, I was even thinking of cutting up an old frame. Couldn't find much at home depot, just steel rods which are too heavy and not strong enough.
schwinnnewyorker.jpg

I would like to build a real tank for it too, but I don't have access to much metal working equipment. Just a welder, hammer and a vice. Anyone ever make a tank or fender light from a mold, maybe fiberglass or some kind of resin? Thanks!

I borrowed an idea from one of the guys and bought some SS auto brake line tubing and bent/flattened/cut as needed. I used some 2.5 X.2.5 aluminum channel as the mount at the handle bars. heres a pic or two.
DSC03116.jpg

DSC03111.jpg

DSC03161.jpg

I made a tank out of balsa wood before... i bought 2 large solid chunks of balsa wood then glued them together. i traced my templete on it then cut it out. i then sanded to desired shape. once it was complete, i put several coats of fiberglass resin on it. the resin makes it hard and paintable. the balsa wood is good because its light and easy to shape. if you want a pic i can try to get one. hope this helps!

Hmm, the balsa wood idea might work. I was thinking foam, but I might be able to actually carve some nice detail into the wood. I'd like to see some pics for sure. Did you make it two pieces, hollow in the middle, or just one solid chunk of wood and fiberglass.
Oh and to the guy with the brake line truss's, they don't look half bad. Do they get bent out of shape if you hit something though? You attached them with glue, or did you drill holes in the aluminum channel? I'm guessing they are fairly light weight, which is a good thing because I have to carry my bike up 4 flights.

They are very strong and would not bend if banged any more than regular ones I think. They are not glued. I drilled the channel and pressed sheet rock anchors into the tubing, then put screws through the angle into the anchors. Worked pretty well. I'm going to get some SS bolts soon though because the screws are just coated steel and will react with the aluminum to cause corrosion pretty quickly.

I made my tank out of flat aluminum sheet and pop rivets.

Back