Home made Panniers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have been making my own panniers since I can remember, almost any bag will work!
Just so long as you don't mind losing some fashion........ha ha!
You will need hooks to hang it from the rack, sutable hooks for the weight that you intend to place in the bag/basket. I have found that the plastic hooks for metal closet shelving work excellent, are cheap, and light. Obviously these are not for a 2 liter hauling bag, for that kind of weight I have used hooks off a flat bungee for racks, metal hooks!
Velcro, I buy it at Wallyland, 12' for $6.00 I think. I have hung baskets and hauled 2 gallons of water with no problems with just velcro!
I like 10-32 hardware, use metric if you want. I prefer galvanized over black oxide, it doesn't rust so fast, staining the bag. Yes I did this before.
Fender washers to fit 10-32, I actually used 1/4" ones this last time and it worked out great, the flat head bolts sunk in nicely into them.
Plastic backing, I used plexiglass this time, don't use it, sucks! I have had great luck up north using kids plastic sleds, usually you can get a back with bottom on one piece/cutt.
Bag, I get the cheapest, least expensive, thrift store, dimebagxxxxoops, I mean low cost affair.
The florida bag pictures was a Salvation Army $1.59 gimme, Hold it up to your rack, figure out how you want it to sit, tenatively mark the shelving bracket holes where it appears they'd catch the rack best. I try to situate them to keep the bag from sliding front to back.
Using a metal pokey thing, screwdriver, scribe, just a bit smaller than the bolts. Heat it up, use it to poke holes if the bag is nylon, fit your liner, repoke the hole.
(don't try to drill fabric guys, you will feel like an ID10t.)
Place the hook on the outside, run the bolt thru, fender washer the inside, snip off the excess bolt and file it smooth, remember hands are going in there, get red of sharps.
Use Velcro for the bottom, p.i.t.a. to hook with the bag on but I have yet to come up with a good way to mount a bungee tight enough the bag doesn't bounce. In fact I have put Velcro on my professionally made panniers, bungees are for jumping off bridges!
I just line it up, heat the poker and stab it thru all of the materials, bolt velcro on.
See my pictures, if you have questions or ideas share them!

DSC02263.jpg

Bag of these at Lowes was $8.00, enough to do a dozen bags.

DSC02265.jpg

Fender washers, box of them $2.00 and enough to do 20 bags!

DSC02259.jpg

or
DSC02258.jpg

Any bag will work, U.S. military gas mask bag, $2.00 on e-bay, really really work good!
Florida touristy bag, $1.59 at S.A. thrift store.
Neither of these bags are, "water proof," use ziplocs, even with "professional," camping gear I use ziplocs, garbage, and other bags, zippers leak, waxing them will help, but not perfect, ziplocs float, use them!

DSC02260.jpg

Here shows I have the bag top level with the rack top, if it is higher it gets in the way of bigger packages on the rack.

DSC02266.jpg

This is called a scribe, made by Sterret and costs $10.00, I heat it up on the stove, with a torch, or heat gun untill it easily passes thru the bag and liner, use a hot pad or pliers to hold it, or burn.....

DSC02261.jpg

Here's a look inside the bag, see how the plexi cracked? That sucks! Find softer plastic cheap! Ordering a sled off e-bay for $5.00, the shipping costs more than the sled. But I have gotten 10 bags out of one before, they have cool radiuses that can fit odd bags.

DSC02262.jpg

The back of the bag, 2 velcro strap for this one, one to hold down and one to hold from slapping. I plan to carry library books in it, yup I still go to the library!

Military bags guys, look on the net, I have found messenger style bags in black, a small and a large bag for $15.00, buy 2 sets and you have front and rear panniers for less than $40.00
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/2-ammo-utility-bags.aspx?a=70919

Latest posts

Back