Homemade pig spit

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The kids needed a spit for this weekend to roast a pig for the first time. I was tasked to find a spit. They were all about the same as cost of the 40lb pig to rent for the day, so I fabbed one up in my bike shop. I picked up a 6' section of steel pipe from the welding marine supply down the road, and went to Lowe's for cinder blocks and the 2 red bricks. Then I used an 18" wheel that I was going to throw in the scrap pile. The pipe got a needed wire brushing and a rubdown with cooking oil. $22.50 invested. If it works out well, I'll get a stainless pipe for it. I will also try to fab up a motor and belt for automatic operation. I think they will get tired of turning by hand.

They will try this out over a charcoal pit in their backyard Saturday for New Year's eve.
24g6joy.jpg

Everything we've researched shows 1 hour and 20 minutes per 10 lbs. That's with the pig 14 inches above the coals. I'm estimating 6 hours for the 40lb pig, but it can go much longer if needed. it'll cook down to about 25-28 lbs. I unfortuneately, have to be at work on the 31st, until 11pm, so they will do all the cooking. I'll be sure to get some on New year's day. I'll also post some pics of the pig cooking.

jalopyjimmy13 said:
make a frame out of junk bikes :idea:

Definitely, I've got plenty of frames up in the rafters. I almost started cutting, but I didn't want to freak them out all at once. The frame supports will weigh less and be more user friendly than the cinder blocks, and the spit will turn more easily with bearings.

will be looking forward to reading how this works out. 8)
we do a hog every two weeks....
around these parts we call it a "pig-pick'n"
good eating,music to boot. :)

Save the drippin's !!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

I had a left side crank and pedal from a 3 piece crank set ready to attach somehow when the wheel idea seemed better. They say it needs a wheel on both sides because it was hard to turn. I'll use a 26" wheel or motorize it.

Latest posts

Back