Hood Rat, done, w/picture overload!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was frustrated at first by the stock frame aspect of the Build Off, as I NEVER leave my frames alone. The stretching, the flipping, the bed frame, I'm always doing something.

But I've actually started looking forward to this build now, as a chance to flex my creativity within that restriction.

Here's the base, some unremarkable Schwinn frame that I picked up at some point, and a rat trap springer that I bought from Fuzzyktu last year.

IMG_0666.jpg

I'll be using some parts from this Exerciser that I got for free from a neighbor, including the 65 tooth chainring.

IMG_0669.jpg

As to the name Hood Rat, this refers not to my neighborhood, but to the fact that what you don't see is the many many car and motorcycle parts that will be going on this bike.

Good luck, everyone! I'm glad to be on board for the ride.

Re: Hood Rat

"many many car and motorcycle parts"? Sounds like yours will be some serious competition... :shock:

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I love the huge front sprockets.

Made a laid back seat post out of half of a crank from an exercise bike (not the Exerciser pictured above), and a seat post cut in half.

IMG_0682.jpg

In place, with my seat for the build:

IMG_0683.jpg

Then I made myself a set of bars from scratch. I used 7/8" bar at the stem, but 1" for the rest of it. I needed 1", because I'm going to be using motorcycle grips that I picked up at a swap meet.

IMG_0684.jpg

Starting to take some shape:

IMG_0685.jpg

Re: Hood Rat, UPDATED with bars and a seat post

Those bars are sweet!! This is why I wish I could weld. Go!! GTB !! Peace

Hood Rat, UPDATED with bars and a seat post

tin machine said:
cool bars !!! what are your plans now for finishing the bars ? since they have been welded prep and paint ? or powder coat :?: cool build i like it .

I'm thinking I'll paint them. My color scheme right now is to paint the frame metallic black, and all other parts and pieces will be flat brown primer.

Hood Rat, UPDATED with bars and a seat post

Thanks for all the comments on the bars, guys. I'm proud of them. They're not perfect, as the tubing kinked a bit when rolling it that tight, but they don't have to be perfect when they're homemade.

Re: Hood Rat, UPDATED with bars and a seat post

That is COOL! :mrgreen:

Re: Hood Rat, UPDATED with Initial Mock up

This is a wild cool tide.

Watznu withca build!!!!
You mock up is very cool and I see you have a very cool hood ornament in a place that I am considering, but probably won't use.

We need an update on this very cool build, so you get the "Leaping Hare" hood ornament back page bump tonight.

Datsun-Leaping-Hare-Hood-Ornament.png

kingfish254 said:
Watznu withca build!!!!
You mock up is very cool and I see you have a very cool hood ornament in a place that I am considering, but probably won't use.

We need an update on this very cool build, so you get the "Leaping Hare" hood ornament back page bump tonight.

Datsun-Leaping-Hare-Hood-Ornament.png

I've been working on it these last couple of days, and the bike is now almost complete. I've just got one more touch, then I'll be taking and posting some pictures.

And while you were commenting about the hood ornament, I was commenting about yours. At the exact some time!

Latest posts

Back