horrible Sturmey Coaster brake

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone know anything about these? I added one to a bike and it will barely stop
its a 77 SC3 I think
IMG01910.jpg

IMG01909.jpg

Sheldon said these still my be prone to failure. Sometimes if you are lazy(me), Just crack the hub open a little and give a squirt of WD40.

an old bike mechanic told me a few years ago to fill the oil hole with wd40 then let it set overnite then blow thru the hole with compressed air then refill with 3in1 oil. but i did all that before I had it relaced into this wheel.... I shoulda rode the bike it came off of first lol

Hooch said:
yea I was hoping a few wacks with a hammer would fix it lol
I swear everyone of these hubs I have had has given me fits

Use a larger hammer. :wink: Gary

With those hubs, the old oil gets gunked up and needs some time to loosen up. I like liquid wrench, it seems to dissolve the old stuff quick and get all the parts going again. Once it's freed up, I use regular or synthetic motor oil, 30 weight, to lube the hub. I put plenty of it in the oil port and add it down the axle where the shift pin or little shift chain goes. It gets messy, but gets it freed up. That hub doesn't have a lot of braking surface, the brakes never were that great from the beginning. I just put one foot under the opposite pedal and pull up for extra braking power.

Latest posts

Back