Hot Rod Hawthorne

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed the headlight source. Is that a 12v security lamp?

No, it's a cheap landscape light from Walmart. Uses a Double A battery. Normally a rechargeable battery kept alive with the Solar panel. I removed the panel and ground spike. Moved the battery holder into the light body shell and added the ribbed lens from a junk bicycle headlight.
20220514_095743~2.jpg
20220514_095750~2.jpg

My oldest son asked me if I had a junk bike frame. He saw on YouTube where guys made garden cultivators out of bikes. Didn't have anything that would really work until today. I picked up a couple of rust buckets today for free and stripped one down for agricultural service.
20220618_140252.jpg

20220618_140330.jpg
20220618_135709.jpg

20220618_135447.jpg

My oldest son asked me if I had a junk bike frame. He saw on YouTube where guys made garden cultivators out of bikes. Didn't have anything that would really work until today. I picked up a couple of rust buckets today for free and stripped one down for agricultural service.
View attachment 197435
View attachment 197436View attachment 197437
View attachment 197438

That is pretty cool. I googled a video of one in operation and it looks like it would work well for small gardens.

Oh my, I'm a page 2 "slacker" again!
Things have gone crazy at work so I have been working late all week. Need to catch up on yard work this weekend. Gonna have to start taking the Hawthorne apart to prep for paint. Thinking this needs to look more hot rod than rat rod, so I will go easy on the fauxtina this time. Sort of like an old hot rod that's gotten a bit rough around the edges over the years. Like a '38 Ford someone hot rodded in '53 and it's been in a barn for 30 - 40 years. Then someone found it, cleaned it up a bit and some new parts added to make it run again.
FB_IMG_1655796124649.jpg

Still can't make up my mind on paint colors. Toss up between the orange and the brick red (in center of samples). The other red is colonial red.
20220628_170518.jpg

20220628_170937.jpg

Since the drop stand doesn't have to clear the top of the rear tire anymore, I cut 2 inches off the height of the stand and drilled new mounting holes. I think it looks better now, and it's sturdier now too.
20220628_171605.jpg
20220628_171517.jpg

If you're still gunning for the barn find look, the brick red would be my pick. Orange could be kind of hard to dull up to get the effect.

I'm going to need to do a study on your drop stand. One of my beaters has a bad habit of randomly toppling over and that may cure it.

If you're still gunning for the barn find look, the brick red would be my pick. Orange could be kind of hard to dull up to get the effect.

I'm going to need to do a study on your drop stand. One of my beaters has a bad habit of randomly toppling over and that may cure it.

Yep, barn find is the goal. I think you're right on the brick red.

How bout a combination of the Primer color and the Brick Red? I like the look of that low slung old truck, with that mix of colors.

If you want to age it a bit, a light overspray from about 4'-6' away, a light wind helps too to reduce the color, of Straw flower yellow, Cinnamon, and the Rustoleum Multi-color Texture spray, can take even the brightest color and add 50 yrs of aging in 5 mins work.

On the Beer Boy Delivery, my first build off bike in BO 10, I used that technique on a brand new, bright red and white Beer arrow.

Top is before, bottom is after.
Screenshot_20220628-185518.png

Latest posts

Back