How did they do it? (Painted yellow huffy glitter sissy bar pad)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
apparently this started out as a white glitter pad and was painted yellow. I know of a translucent spray paint called “stained glass”, made by krylon, and it does come in yellow.

I’ve seen that Sears Gremlins also came with sissy bar pads with black backings (to match the seats) and was thinking a black vinyl paint could work to cover the orange.

But before I even considered any of that, I figured I’d ask here if anyone has advice. also if there was indeed an (earlier?) version of these pads with black backings. Thx!

Attachments

• 9A123D0C-CCD5-43B3-9D89-79460DB119D4.jpeg
    9A123D0C-CCD5-43B3-9D89-79460DB119D4.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 71
apparently this started out as a white glitter pad and was painted yellow. I know of a translucent spray paint called “stained glass”, made by krylon, and it does come in yellow.

I’ve seen that Sears Gremlins also came with sissy bar pads with black backings (to match the seats) and was thinking a black vinyl paint could work to cover the orange.

But before I even considered any of that, I figured I’d ask here if anyone has advice. also if there was indeed an (earlier?) version of these pads with black backings. Thx!
I posed the question to someone on my other site. He does incredible restorations he may have worked with that paint . I asked about products for painting seats. Ill check back when I'm home tonight.

If that pad is about 1" thick, padded with a small strip that slides over the sissybar I have about 15 of them. The paint idea is good because they were NOS stored stacked and the orange bled off on the front of the ones under it. So far efforts to remove the orange have been futile.
If the paint will work I may do a few for sale. I may also sell a few for others to experiment on.

Spray vinyl dye...
Screenshot_20220211-051512.png

Screenshot_20220211-051535.png

SEM has more colors, but I couldn't find a convenient chart. When I used to help with my Mom's auto upholstery and trim biz as a kid...we would use a similar 3M spray dye to recolor plastic door panels, arm rests and such. Held up pretty good. If you buy interior replacement panels for for a car, they usually come in a neutral color with the expectation of being colored by these kind of products.

Latest posts

Back