How Do I shorten a skip tooth chain

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used a cut off wheel in a dremel tool to cut out the pin at the proper length, then just re-install the masterlink. btw a #43 master link from a hardware store will work with most skiptooth chains!

I put the chain in a vise and drove the pin almost all the way out making sure it stayed in the last plate then reconected it and used the vise to press it back into place. If you don't have a vise you could use a piece of metal with a hole in it to drive it free and pliers to press it back in. Might also try a motorcycle chain breaker, you can take the pin out of those and grind it down to the size needed.

my standard cheapo chain break works just fine with skiptooth chains.
IMG_20130206_210855_zpsfacf2c22.jpg

It doesn't lay down flat, but holds everything where it needs to be while pushing a pin
IMG_20130206_210946_zpsa6d936bf.jpg

I borrowed one from a guy here at work who ran go-karts for his kids.
A bit bigger than the std bike chain breaker (and lots stronger).

I used a cheap Walmart chain breaker I had that already had one of the tabs broken on it, I broke the other one, smoothed both out flush with a dremel & it works great. PS: for regular chains, don't waste your money on a Walmart breaker, go to your LBS & get a good one for just a few bucks more. It will last a lot longer!

Latest posts

Back