How do I straighten Schwinn Forks?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ‘79 Schwinn and the forks are bent a little. It looks like they got pushed back. How can I straighten them?

IMG_5704.jpeg

there's been a few ways shown here on RRB over the years. Have you searched YouTube for a DIY hack?

I've only done it twice. Once I used the v of tree to hold it, and a long pipe for leverage. The other time I used boards for protection and drove over it with my car. I'm sure there are better ways.

I did a bit of searching, but haven’t found anything yet. I’ll keep searching.

I’ve heard the forks are super tough and they can be bent back, I just want to make sure I do it right and don’t mess something up.

You could use a board to protect the tube Strong rope should suffice . It's not ' brute ' force , but rather ' linear force a little at a time, and it springs back when it's ready

Press it, couple blocks of wood to the right thickness, so not to over bend. Place on floor, under garage door header, another block of wood, then a jack, long 2 x 4 above jack to header. Or hydraulic press..............Curt

An easy method is to reverse the fork and sit on the bike, and bump the front wheel against a wall. A little more complicated is the tourniquet method mentioned above, an axle in the fork, but use a ratchet strap around the post to tug it into shape

Back