How do you put a production date on a Schwinn?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you mean the exact day ???

its easy to tell the month and year, do you have pics and the serial # (could be on the bottom of the crank hub shell, the left rear dropout or on the headtube under the badge)

depending on the year, some of them stamped the badge (next to the "I" in schwinn) with a four digit code that tells you the day it was assembled at the factory. only a few years were stamped that way that i know of.

i stick to the 60s and 70s stuff so i could probably help you out around there and later possibly, earlier stuff i dont know so much about.

"daves vintage bikes" & "oldroads.com" sites are who i usually use to date schwinns, "trfindley" has links to alot of schwinn catalogs too.

the quick way when you find a schwinn and dont remember how to decode the serial # is to pull the handle bar stem, if its original it should have the date stamped in to it, same thing on the crank

so if its a 1967, the neck/crank should have '67 stamped on it, sometimes they could be a year off +/- depending on the month

CCR said:
the quick way when you find a schwinn and dont remember how to decode the serial # is to pull the handle bar stem, if its original it should have the date stamped in to it, same thing on the crank

so if its a 1967, the neck/crank should have '67 stamped on it, sometimes they could be a year off +/- depending on the month
Cool, thanks. I'll try and remember to take some pictures of it tomorrow. It's a girls bike. I'd like to redo it for my wife, I don't know if she would ride it, but at least it would be redone. I bought it from the original owner last August. He said it was his wifes bike. She use to ride it when she was a little girl. The guy was pushing 70.

youll probably have to go by the serial number alone or reference pics from catalogs, i dont believe the neck/crank were stamped if the bikes older than the 60s.

Here's the Serial # D847957 If I'm reading this right it's a 1958 , right? http://oldroads.com/sh_sn.asp I don't think it's ever been apart. I don't know if I want to paint it back the original color, or go with Pink, yes pink. The local bike shop has a Giant brand girls cruiser bike in pink, and I really like it. Like I said the wife probably won't ride it anyway, so it won't matter to her what color I paint it.
100_0107.jpg

100_0108.jpg

april 28, 1958 according to bunch o bikes too

id say thats correct :)

nice base to start off with

tnt1 said:
+
Whats going on with the model T in the picture?
I have two of those. They are rough, but fixable. I don't know if I want to put the time into them. They would be fenderless hotrods.

Latest posts

Back