How I semi restored old leather seat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with an old leather seat in pretty bad shape.I had never heard of the brand, the only marking is a stamp that says "VERY BEST".
(The one on the left)
IM000118-1.jpg

First I oiled it down with baby oil so it would soften up some and so I could see better what I had to work with.
It had some shiney spots here and there as well as some bad scuffs. So I (cringe) sanded, yes sanded the whole top down.
Reapplied more oil to see what it looked like, let it soak in. I then applied some colored danish oil wiped off real good and let dry.
I would only do this method on a real distressed saddle as it does raise leather grain. I plan no sealer, just adding oil as needed. 8)
I like the look, kinda uniformed distressed :wink:
newbuild016.jpg

newbuild015.jpg

newbuild014.jpg

And yes that is a sneak peak at the Uncle Stretch build. This saddle is not going on that bike though. The other saddle that needs refinished will go on the Mt. bike rat.

Nice job on the refurbed seat. Will you have to the lace skirts up to help the saddle keep its shape?

Are those 26x3 or 24x3 on Stretch?

that is really amazing i have passed up a few seats that were like that. wonder if you could also get the shape back if you tied strings across through the lower holes?

This has nothing to do with your serious restoration, but is my way of remodelling a sun-dried seat. Made the curled-up sides wet, and left it like this for a day.
Looks like a horrible toothache.
zadelherstel.jpg

(Took out some color and made it a bit grainy.)
Sorry, I was just looking for an opportunity to show this.

Back