How to determine year from serial #?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a Montgomerty Ward Open Road from a yard sale! The serial number reads HC2888965, can anyone determine what year model this bike is? Any additional info is appreciated....Thanks!

Without pictures and being a department store brand bike, it is almost impossible to identify what year or even who made your Montgomery Wards Openroad bike. Well, I did say ALMOST impossible without pictures...

Montgomery Wards mainly had two companies build bikes with their name slapped on them, Huffy and Murray. The HC designation tells me it's more than likely a Huffy built bike for MW. The first number in a Huffy ser# designates the last number of the year made, and in your case that "2" after the HC means a 72' or 82'. Doubt 62' because the "Open Road" model wasn't offered back then and doubt 92' because I am not sure MW was still pedaling out bikes in the 90's (pun totally intended). I'm leaning towards an 82', but only a picture or two can help me be more specific. If you can't do picts, list what type of components the bike has (i.e. derailleurs, brand and model, ect) and that may help.

Hope that helps. :wink:

Latest posts

Back