How to Keep this in place?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok, sorry for the bad pic below but it is the best I could do tonight.

On the sprocket side of the hub, there is a dust cap/bearing cap/ cover, however; it will not stay in(probably partly due to the bearings being shot), is there a way to fix this, or will putting good bearing do the trick.

DSCN1897-1.jpg

If this makes no sense to you guys Ask questions and I will do my best to answer. Thank you for your help.

What I would do...

Soak everything in gasoline for too long

Scrub everytng spotless with an old toothbrush.(bearings and inside of the hub)

Grease everything way too much.(I prefer Lubriplate white grease)

New grease and old crusy grease DO NOT get along.

Are the bearings bad or is the bearing race bad in the hub?

Ya gotta clean all the parts REAL GOOD then inspect them.

I think you are referring to the cover that is stamped out of thin metal and helps to keep junk out of the bearing. It presses onto the cone. If your’s is loose, I’d say just give the center of the dust shield a little tweak with some pliers to recreate the interference fit and press it back onto the cone.

...or just OFF the dust washer and never ride the bike in the dust or grit again.(it pops right off the bearing cone)

I ride some of mine with open bearings...just NOT through the mud.

Fireproof said:
I think you are referring to the cover that is stamped out of thin metal and helps to keep junk out of the bearing. It presses onto the cone. If your’s is loose, I’d say just give the center of the dust shield a little tweak with some pliers to recreate the interference fit and press it back onto the cone.

Yes that is. That was what I was planing on doing, but wanted more expert opinions.

I did clean them the first time, the grease in the pic is new (might not be the correct type but it is what I had). Yes the Bearing and the races were both shot(bearings had pits in most of them(metal on metal), and the races were flat and not round in some places). I have some on order but thought I might be able to use them until they cam in, but no go.

I dont want to be the bearer of bad news but...

New bearings in an old worn out hub race aint gonna ride smooth or be quiet.It'll sound painfull and destroy the new bearings.

Id replace the hub.

Does it press onto the cone or into the driver? I think it is the later. I have tinkered with a number of dust covers trying to restore the interference fit. I have always got them to stay in one way or the other. I have tried rolling the outer edge to stretch it, and dimpling the edge to knurl it... But I think next time I will try "glueing" one in with some clear silicone sealer/caulk type substance.

I have found these hubs to be a mixed bag. I have seen brakes that range from terrible to excellent depending on the condition of the shoe. I have seen more worn out cones and bearings than I see in american hubs. If you happen to get a good one though, it potentially could be one of the quietest, lowest friction, best coasting hubs out there.

MagicRat said:
I dont want to be the bearer of bad news but...

New bearings in an old worn out hub race aint gonna ride smooth or be quiet.It'll sound painfull and destroy the new bearings.

Id replace the hub.

Well took it for a test ride and it is quiet to me(of course did not hit the brake or go high speed). Also the hub looks really smooth. So while yes it might mess them up, I am willing to take the chance. all else fail, put it on the lathe and run it smooth.

dougfisk said:
But I think next time I will try "glueing" one in with some clear silicone sealer/caulk type substance.

I think that I will try that as well.

Latest posts

Back