how to neck down

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a short one. Everybody may already know. I bought a couple schwinn heavy duti's from a guy and they had the 1 1/8'' neck on them . I wanted to run another fork I had but it was too small. I found if you cut a piece of 1'' ridged conduit about 1/4 shorter than your neck size then it would slide tight into the bigger neck . It will take the smaller bearing races. Once you tap in the races it stays tight. Then use the regular size forks. If you cut it the same length as the neck tube then you can see it . You could drill a hole down a half inch or so and tac weld it inside the neck ,but once the races are in it cant go anywhere anyway. Good luck. :roll:

I know this is an old post, but I have a similar problem and was wondering how to fix it. I was going to cut a headtube of an old frame and machine it down to fit inside the 1 1/8" headtube. I mentioned this to the owner of my LBS.......she reached into the headset drawer and came up with exactly what I need, a headset with bearing races/cups that fit in a 1 1/8" headtube to take a 1" fork. I love that place :) .

Latest posts

Back