How to remove and adjust rear 3-Speed wheel?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's it going? I'm new here and need some help with a bike I just bought. I got a older Sears Roebuck Free Spirit 3-speed women's bicycle that I just bought for my girlfriend. I've never worked on these 3-speed that have the gears inside the hub.

I wanted to know how to remove/install the rear wheel, because I need to replace the tires on it. It has the little gear adjuster on it. Would I just remove the nut just like anyother bike? Is the adjuster part of the nut? Any Help is appreciated, thanks!

if its got a chain coming out, then you gotta undo it there where it meets the cable and un-screw the chain/rod outa the hole, if theres a lever on it, just unhook the cable and it screws off and the pin drops out. the only difference is in installing em you need to get the washers back the same way they were and use a torque wrench to tighten the nuts.

This should have the Shimano. Disconnect the cable, loosen the nuts and the brake arm if it has one, and slide it out. If you take the shift bell crank off the end of the axle, make sure you don't lose the shift rod, which slides right out. The axle has a washer with a tab or tabs to prevent the axle from rotating, be sure it's aligned with the dropout when you put it back together. Get one and put it on there if it's missing, it's important.
Adjustment,- screw the bell crank all the way on to the axle 'til it bottoms out by hand, don't force it. back it off 'til it lines up with the incoming cable. If it takes more than a half turn, pull the wheel back off and spin the axle 1/2 turn and try again. Once it's lined up with the cable, snug the little lock nut that keeps it from turning, if it's still there. Put the shifter in 2nd or N position, then screw the cable connecter on 'til the little red circle on the bell crank lever is centered in the window on the side of the bell crank. Same drill for both coaster and free-wheel models. If by chance it has a Sturmey Archer or similar hub installed the rod is threaded and the cable pulls the mechanism, there's just a hollow nut instead of having a bell crank that pushes it. It's not usually necessary to remove it just for tire service. Adjustment is similar, except some don't have markings on the rod/chain or a window on the nut, the tabbed washer is necessary on those as well.

Thanks for the help^^^

Yesterday I got it off and replaced the tires and but them back on with no problem! Now I take the bike out to test it. as I'm pedaling in 1st gear everything seems perfect. When I switch into 2nd gear I realize its making a noise when I'm pedaling that sounds exactly like the sound it makes when it coasting/freewheeling. It doesnt sounds right. I know it wasnt making that noise the other day before I switched the tires. So how do i get it to stop making the coasting/freewheeeling noise when pedaling? Do I need take off the wheel to adjust or can I leave the wheel on and adjust? It switches into all 3 gears perfect just that when its in 2nd it makes that noise!

Depending on the year and model, it's normal for 3rd and/or 2nd to make free wheel noises as the wheel spins past lower gear drives. Something may have been sticking before, or just slightly different in adjustment. You can take out the shift rod and put a spoonful of motor oil in there to be sure it's lubed, but if it's not crunching or slipping in and out of gear, I'd say don't sweat it.

Its a 1983 Sears Roebuck Free Spirit. So making noise in 2nd or 3rd gear is normal? Well thats kind of a relief! Thanks for all the help! :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back