How to remove rear sprocket?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
This old MTB mechanic is stumped with these old single-speed systems. I tried to attack it like I would a MTB cluster, but my chain whip is the wrong size (I'm going to change that chain with a single speed chain) and I don't have a correct hub nut. Is there a way around that, or do I need to get some sort of hub nut (or whatever it should be called) to get this sprocket off?

What kind of hub is it? Got pics?

If it doesn't have a snap ring like on modern coaster hubs then it probably has a lock ring and threaded sprocket. The lock ring it left handed thread and the sprocket is standard thread. They are usually pretty tight, but I have heard the best way to get the sprocket unscrewed is to remove the lock ring. remount the wheel on the bike, get up a little speed and slam on the brakes.

It's Bendix hub. I can't tell you what kind or anything. Here's what it says on the bar:

dsc1083r.jpg

And here is what I'm looking at on the sprocket:

dsc1082p.jpg

I looked for a snap ring, but I don't see one, unless I'm missing it. Hopefully the pictures help.

That was a pain, but I got it off. Thanks!

Now I've got to go find your thread on how to rebuild this hub. I really need to find out if it's toast. It's got a lot of back and forth play before it engages the brake. :?

This is the thread I did on the Bendix Original, it is similar to yours. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53878

The quality of the Bendix hubs really suffered when they took the production south of the border. Yours looks like it may be one of the last of the American made units. They moved in the middle of the 70 series production.

Latest posts

Back