How to remove rust and polish chrome very cheap

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Hello a gentleman showed me this trick one day a long time ago and it has saved me a ton of money and time over the years. Only works on chrome not on rusted steel. Its real easy and every one has access to the materials to do so. Step one is to get some water and make a puddle in some dirt with it.

Step two is to get a rag and dip it into the puddle and get some mud on it.

You can see in the last photo where the rust had gone through the chrome to the steel below and this method does not work on chrome that far gone. It is also important to not get any rocks or other bits of stuff into the rag as it will scratch the surface. This method will also polish chrome as well. Good luck to you guys. This took about 5 seconds to do

Great stuff! I gotta try this, thanks man...Nice tat too BTW...I dig it.

Just be careful of the grit. I swear by copper pot scrubbies; others prefer crumpled aluminum foil dipped in vinegar. The key is to attack the stain with something tougher than rust, but softer than the finish.

I like aluminum foil and diet Coke.
There is really something with diet coke vs rust. I have an 84 Suburban with the pie wagon doors. Had it for over 20 years. When I first got it the back doors were really rusty - bubbling thru the paint everywhere. After a company party there was left over diet coke - I ground down the rusty paint but there was still rust underneath and applied the coke and left it for a while. later I brushed on rust oleum it still has not rusted again!

image.jpg
Autosol and crumpled Aluminim foil. Autosol on its own won't move the rust. The Ali foil is soft enough not to scratch the chrome.

And also b/c the Diet just tears stuff up a lot better. Far more caustic, for sure. All those urban legends about being able to dissolve a penny in a can f diet soda overnight.... definitely not true (I tried as a kid), but those myths usually have some truth in their origins.

how much does your store bought rust removers cost? i posted this as a diy cheap and free way. also after working on cars all day i dont want to walk or ride to the store to get products. in my world i wouldnt walk up to a jaguar x type or rolls royce with any of that stuff. Mud washes off

To answer your question.... $9.00 and it goes a long way. Time = $$ and I don't care to spend a lot of time to scrub on parts if I don't have to, and I also work on cars and a full time job, just drop it in and a few hours later turn or take it out and rinse.. I do like your post cant beat free!!!

To answer your question.... $9.00 and it goes a long way. Time = $$ and I don't care to spend a lot of time to scrub on parts if I don't have to, and I also work on cars and a full time job, just drop it in and a few hours later turn or take it out and rinse.. I do like your post cant beat free!!!
thanks for the answer to my question.

I've had some goodish results with steel wool and Brasso. I am not advocating it though. It might be harmful to some finishes?

Latest posts

Back