how to spray paint (rattle can) w/out making a giant mess??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i rent a house with a really big garage but it's got this nice painted floor and is all clean and not messed up.
Well, until now :( I used drop clothes and didn't think i had a prob when i primed some bike parts and the rims with a gray primer. I now think I had over-spray that just matched the floor so i didn't notice.

THEN i sprayed 1 rim red. One Measly Rim. and i have a Dexter crime scene on my hands :( It seemed ok at the time then i notice red foot prints everywhere i go. So, i get some paint thinner to clean the foot prints and it just reactivated the read over spray that was apparently EVERY-....-WHERE in the garage. Spent an hour and a half cleaning the floor with towels and paint thinner looking like a crazy version of Christina from Mommy Dearest. lol Nightmare. Oh yeah... DH thinks i made such a disaster because i put the primed rim on the upside down bike and spun it while i sprayed. :wink: Worked great and didn't have to worry about a place for it to dry!! but i guess it was pretty stupid lol :oops:

But the rim looks awesome! (that's all that counts no?? ) And i need to spray the other one red too, prime more bike parts and spray some black and some white. I have an open side yard so i could spray out there but can't really leave stuff out ... don't know what to do. I don't want to abandon this project but don't want to F up the garage and lose my rental deposit either! Help!!

get some cheap plastic tarps and drape them from the ceiling with thumb tacks.. make a box big enough to work in then lay one on the floor... instant ghetto spray booth.... be sure and wear a REAL respirator as well, not just a dust mask..!! and don't stay in there any longer than it takes to do coat... :roll:

get some cheap plastic tarps and drape them from the ceiling with thumb tacks.. make a box big enough to work in then lay one on the floor... instant ghetto spray booth.... be sure and wear a REAL respirator as well, not just a dust mask..!! and don't stay in there any longer than it takes to do coat... :roll:

its gettin to be that time of year again for inside paintjobs. the more important problem is furnace/water heaters and pilot lights. i THINK i can warm up frame & paint inside, shoot outside, let it dry inside. :?: someone please verify or correct this statement, i would hate to see someones house go boom! :shock: i wont try it without talking to my furnace repair buddy, but maybe someone else here hasnt even thought of this problem.

I've painted bikes and parts in the basement a mere 10'ft . from the furnace and hot water heater til the overspray hung in the air like a fog. (no resperator either)

Cleaned parts with gasoline and other flammable products down there til i got dizzy from the fumes too.

NO PROBLEMS (yet)...except overspray everywhere and I do mean EVERYWHERE!!!

Im not totally useless,I can always serve as a bad example.

My Wild Indian was the worst offender of the term SPRAY BOMB!

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5490&p=138738&hilit=wild+indian#p138738

Do it outside if ya can.

Its a good idea to warm up the paint and parts in the house overnight.

Try not to paint outside on a windy day.

Been there...done that too.

"i think i can warm up the frame and paint inside..."
after reading this again this morning, i realize how someone could see the word paint as a verb, i meant it as a noun. point is,i shoulda said " warm up the frame and paint CAN inside". not actually paint the frame inside. i know people do it all the time, but im not that lucky :x

Most modern furnaces and water heaters have electronic ignition instead of the old pilot light deal. But, I like the idea of storing the paint and parts inside and painting outside. Painting inside is hard without proper ventilation. Hope you can find a way to paint this fall and winter and have some great results.

Latest posts

Back