How to start?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so here's a question for all you veteran ratters. What were some of the challenges of building your first rat rod, or restoring any bicycle for that matter? Was it very difficult? I would like to hear some of the stories. I admit that the learning curve has been very steep for me. There are so many different sizing systems and parts are very hard to find. And those are only a couple of the challenges I have run into.

the part i hate the most is stripping paint!!!!! theres just no easy way to do it, its messy, i just dont like it!!

mixin and matchin parts from different bikes is where some learning happens, numbers are not always an accurate reflection of the true measurement, inconsistency in threadings, dont have the right tool, angles/rakes, spacers, too long/too short, yadadadada.....but then again.....thats all part of the fun!
fast eddie outty

just a learning experience, if your paintin make sure all the parts fit before you paint and if swappin tires make sure they clear. i always try to replace as many nuts and bolt as possible with nylon lock nuts. just saves frustration later on when the old ones shake loose.

proudlove, I see ur av is a lego guy, You into lego building? I am.

:shock: DUDE! YOUR AN AWESOME BULDER, THAT BIG BLACK AND GREEN THING IS NUTS! How long did that take u? I havent built in forever! I got the technic f1 ferrari to build and the write brothers plane. I havent built em yet. DUDE! That milktruck and the checker cab were my 2 favs. NUTS! I love ur lego builds.

My Biggest Challange is Finding a Bike to Start with.
here in British Columbia...they are not as ready-full as Below the 49th.

but I would have to say..it's all a Challange,
and I learn every Time I touch any of my Bikes.

All the different sizes of stuff. Headsets, bottom brackets, seat posts, fork tube lengths, chains etc...

When I first started building bikes I ordered a cool bmx sprocket (not cheap) not realizing they came in 2 widths. I unknowingly ordered the wider one. After receiving it I realized my chain wouldn't fit. I went down to the LBS to purchase a heavy duty bmx chain that would fit the sprocket (not cheap). Got it home and found that it wasn't long enough for the 26" cruiser I was using it on. Had to go buy another one (price hadn't gone down any). The chains were too big for the chain tool so I had to do the hammer and nail thing.

Expensive learning lesson.

Yep, also off topic, but I like your Lego stuff a lot.
I've got two boys who are into Star Wars Lego (wonder how that came to be :D ). I added you as a Flickr contact.

I just found out my 'new' BMX has a 21mm handlebar-stem instead of all the 22mm I have lying around. Try to find a 21mm one, or get out the grinder (that's what I did for now).
You just try, and you'll see soon enough. And if you really don't know there's always the www. Xddorox has a great blog on how to fix bikes:
http://howtofixbikes.blogspot.com/
He's also on Flickr...

Back