How to straighten and align fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for in the results but I'm new around here so maybe I am missing something in the search parameters.

So, I've got a bent fork leg on a Schwinn Corvette that I'd like to bend back and get it within reasonable alignment so that it tracks straight. What's a smart and easy way to do this besides smacking it? I don't have a pipe bender or anything like that but I figure with a bench vise and some 2x4"s I should be able to come up with something... Anybody have a tried and true solution?

Here's the fork:

3231718378_f6b49026d7.jpg

I'd kinda like to know how that fork leg got to be bent out like that.

Clamp it in a 'soft jaw' vice,It might straighten out.

Good excuse to replace it with a SPRINGER!

Are BOTH blades bent?........Vise and a 2x4 could work (need better pics). Post some pics without the wheel on.

myself...
i think i would remove the fork from the bike...
then place a block of wood on each side of the bend allowing a gap in the center...
then use a block of wood on the bend with a hammer...
i don't think just sandwiching it in the vice will straighten it...
that is an odd bend...
granted i wanted to bend this fork...
but it bent well with a vice and a little pressure...

P1000178.jpg

ponytailmike
mike

Here are some more photos. Yes, it's only one leg that is bent and I have no idea how it happened. The guy I bought it from in town said that he got the bike off Craigslist a few years ago and it was already like that.

3234127462_750c0b5ec8.jpg

3233281091_f36d94c1c3.jpg

3234128500_a643331014.jpg

Back