How to?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I posted this about 3 weeks ago, got some friendly feedback from several of you, but thought I'd try one more time and see if I get any other/or new suggestions from new readers out there . . .here's my situation, and THANKS! George

I've been riding solo for YEARS - and now it's time to join the community! Just plain old simple one speed coaster bikes are what I love.
People say things to me like "Well, you know you can't really RIDE those!" . . .and I answer "But I DO! All the time, everywhere!"
Here's a question I REALLY hope I can find a solution to:
One of my Pabst PBR promo bikes, and I've got two, hey you can't have just one, and I've definitely changed out a lot of parts, they're quite customized now! (Well, I'll attach photos next time, it's already too late at night now)
but here's the question, one of them has the super cool high spoke count wheels, and in fact, I wanted to put a pair of those on my other PBR bike too, BUT . . .
I've run into a snag. My super cool vintage NOS Royce Union speedo (looks similar to the tiny old Schwinn speedos), well, the two prongs on the speedo drive gear won't fit correctly between the extra spokes of the high spoke count rim. . .and the bike shop doesn't think it's a good idea to damage the integrity of the rim by removing spokes just so the gear will fit, and I agree.
Just wondering if there's some way to make this work? I'm really psyched to keep those rims on this bike, but I would like to be able to add this speedo as well!
And the bike shop is basically telling me it's one, or the other. The high spoke count rims, or the speedo, but I can't have both. . .so the only solution is if I can find a different type of gear drive, OR somehow retrofit what I already have? Anyone out there have experience attaching a vintage speedo to a bike with high spoke count wheels?

Attachments

• DSCN1289.jpg
    DSCN1289.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • DSCN1294.jpg
    DSCN1294.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
I wonder if you could bend the two spoke tabs flat and then install a pop rivet or screw in each tab that would engage the closer spoke pattern? I would probably go a little further and use a tiny machine screw with a backing plate washer on the backside of the spokes. That would guarantee constant contact. The diagram shows only one end. Both could be done. The line drawing shows how the flattened tab would look from the outside of the wheel

Speedo.png

Last edited:
Hey all, I posted this about 3 weeks ago, got some friendly feedback from several of you, but thought I'd try one more time and see if I get any other/or new suggestions from new readers out there . . .here's my situation, and THANKS! George

I've been riding solo for YEARS - and now it's time to join the community! Just plain old simple one speed coaster bikes are what I love.
People say things to me like "Well, you know you can't really RIDE those!" . . .and I answer "But I DO! All the time, everywhere!"
Here's a question I REALLY hope I can find a solution to:
One of my Pabst PBR promo bikes, and I've got two, hey you can't have just one, and I've definitely changed out a lot of parts, they're quite customized now! (Well, I'll attach photos next time, it's already too late at night now)
but here's the question, one of them has the super cool high spoke count wheels, and in fact, I wanted to put a pair of those on my other PBR bike too, BUT . . .
I've run into a snag. My super cool vintage NOS Royce Union speedo (looks similar to the tiny old Schwinn speedos), well, the two prongs on the speedo drive gear won't fit correctly between the extra spokes of the high spoke count rim. . .and the bike shop doesn't think it's a good idea to damage the integrity of the rim by removing spokes just so the gear will fit, and I agree.
Just wondering if there's some way to make this work? I'm really psyched to keep those rims on this bike, but I would like to be able to add this speedo as well!
And the bike shop is basically telling me it's one, or the other. The high spoke count rims, or the speedo, but I can't have both. . .so the only solution is if I can find a different type of gear drive, OR somehow retrofit what I already have? Anyone out there have experience attaching a vintage speedo to a bike with high spoke count wheels?
I wonder if you could bend the two spoke tabs flat and then install a pop rivet or screw in each tab that would engage the closer spoke pattern? I would probably go a little further and use a tiny machine screw with a backing plate washer on the backside of the spokes. That would guarantee constant contact. The diagram shows only one end. Both could be done. The line drawing shows how the flattened tab would look from the outside of the wheel

View attachment 216235
Hey Kevin the bike demolitionist! I'm amazed by the detail of your reply, you're quite awesome!
I did have a few other members also suggest trying to alter the tabs in some way, but your reply has the most detailed how-to, and I'm hopeful this will work!
I'm going to print out your diagram and discuss with the mechanic who's working with me on this and let's see what happens, I'll keep you updated! Thanks! George in Denver

Latest posts

Back