How would YOU replicate this frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get some thoughts on how doable it would be to make something similar to this.
2K6_JOE_big.jpg

More specs here, including frame geometry:
http://www.konabikes.co.uk/2k6bikes/joe_2k6.php

It was available in the US, It was only made in 2006. I could have ordered one back then from my local Kona dealer, but I didn't have or want to spend $800.00 for it.

Yeah, BeyondBikes an LBS had one they were blowing out last year, maybe year before as it hung around awhile, last price I saw was $450 but it was fugly in person except for the fork and bars and some components. At about half that it would have been tempting for components.

find someone with a jig. i dig that frame other than the seat post tube being straight it looks out of place think what it would look like if that tube was curved following the tire.

For someone that can scratch build a frame its a pretty easy build. The bends are basically a 45 on the bottom and a soft rolled on the top. To copy one exactly a side picture and then blow it up on one of the overhead projectors and then draw it on some large cardboard or paper. Bend the tubes to match and weld it together....pretty simple.

The west coast chopper frame would be a good start if you wanted to build a 20" version. You can find them on craigslist for about 50 bucks. The chain stays and seat stays look pretty close and you would get some nice zoom forks.

wheelenwilly said:
The west coast chopper frame would be a good start if you wanted to build a 20" version. You can find them on craigslist for about 50 bucks. The chain stays and seat stays look pretty close and you would get some nice zoom forks.

i was thinking the same. i have a 24x3 on the back of my wcc. need to do some trimming to make it barely fit (i'm thinking i'll eventually cut my drop outs off and tweek them too). stuck a 26" on the front and i'm pretty happy with it.

SANY0014.jpg

a little more rearranging of the top tube to be closer to your pic and maybe not stretch it out as much, it might be close.

Latest posts

Back