Howz this idea to start a local bike show?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since there ain't jack going on in my 'hood, I though i'd take the bull by the ba-, er, horns and maybe start something up.

I know the owner of a local bike shop. I was thinking of proposing a Kustom/Klassic Bike Show which would have 3 categories: Kustom (like ours) , Klassics (restoed vintage bikes pre '70) and muscle bikes (sting-rays, Krates, Eliminators, etc,)

Maybe a trophy for each category? Not sure who would judge (maybe my Mom?) :mrgreen:

I'm sure we could get at least a few bikes per category.

Looking for any opinions/advice pro or con before i pitch this to the shop owner.

I figure he'd be pretty agreeable given the publicity this would generate for his shop.

Thx

Spin

I think you would do better to advertise it as a Bike parts Swap Meet/ Bike show, the swap will and always has attracted many more people, even non-bike collectors looking for any other goodies that vendors may have on their table. Should be a Win Win for the LBS providing he has the room,
My Opinion, skip the trophy's and put the money into advertising the show.

A few more words of advice.

Get in touch with your local paper. FInd out who to talk to for a "local calendar" that's usually published monthly, and may also include "what to do today" or 'This week" or similar feature.

MAke it easy for them. Write a simple press release, as short as possible. Include your website, email, or your contact phone, however you are planning to field questions.

Send along a graphic or poster for the show- you never know, they may print it along with a community calendar. At least they'll have the info. Email it AND mail the hard copy.

Same with the bike shops. Get their email addresses for notification but also send or bring them a poster for your show. Print it on good photo paper and they're likely to keep it for a while. Also drop off your cards, they usually keep local enthusiasts on file and chances are it'll lead to more local bike-minded people.

Advertise in the BIKES classified section of your local Craigslist. Again include links to your own website, good clear pictures, simple contact info. The website can contain the details; the promo stuff should be simple.

Find out if there is a local cycling organization near you or in the nearest city. Most places have something going on whether it's a road bike riding club, racing teams, BMX riders. Get the word out to that group.

If you have car clubs near you, find their websites or facebook pages and contact them to let them know about the show. It's the same kind of folks, building and collecting old cars as with old bikes. Lots of cross-pollination there... the dads want to take their kids to these shows.

Last, don't be discouraged. You're new, it's the first time show, the weather could be iffy... don't be disappointed if 10 people show up and it's all the guys you know. Don't expect to make any money on it the first time, (or maybe ever! :p ) and just have a good time as it all comes together.

We did our first "Bike Fest New London" last year and had a beautiful day, met a lot of good folks, but we hope for a lot more participation next year.

You can see some of our pics on my site: http://www.bareiss.net/bikeride.html
Good luck!

--Rob

Here's some ramblings about my experience...

I started the Midwest Bicycle Fest 5 years ago last October. It's been what I consider a success every year so far. It's evolved in to a show, picnic, games, competitions, give-aways and more. It's held in a public park and I rent a shelter building there which is mostly used to serve/eat food and where the registration is. The first year it was just me, my wife and my parents putting it on. Now I get help from a few others.

It ends up costing me money out of pocket each year but I don't mind. We take donations for the food and raffle off either a new or kustom bicycle to try and offset the costs. Some years we've gotten a lot of donations from bikes shops and other businesses and other years not so much.

We have 2 classes in our "People's Choice" competition - Kustom and Classic. The people do the voting. When people show up they register and are given a voting ballot. This last year for the first time we had one additional trophy for Ratrod chosen by the festival cook (ratfink1962). He made and donated the trophy. I'd suggest making your own trophies. Our People's Choice trophies are pretty simple. Engraving is pretty cheap.
IMG_9093.jpg

The first thing I did the first year was come up with a name. Second thing I did was register a domain name and create a website. There might be people out there right now Googling "bicycle show Pennsylvania pa". I think a domain name gives you credibility and makes it seem legit. I also printed up posters and passed them around. Like Rob said notify all forms of media with a press release and post to all their calendars.

I try to keep it simple and as few people involved as possible. I think less potential for trouble or problems that way.

I also help with our Art Of The Bicycle show. It's a one night display of bikes and bicycle art in an art gallery. We charge an entry fee per bike and the money goes to the gallery. Anything sold a percentage also goes to the gallery.

Spin if you have any specific questions about the way we do things I'd be glad to answer. Please check out MidwestBicycleFest.com.

I'd be glad to help out if I can, Spin. I keep toying with the same idea. There should be a number of local cruise-ins, shows, etc that would welcome more participants, even if we have to make our own trophies 8)

Well, the bike shop i was thinking about having it at is pretty small and part of a city block where the businesses on either side may not want the bikes set up.

Another thought I had was to approach a non-bike biz like a pub and see if they'd dig us setting up once a month or so.

Big C: have you been to the Pour House in Westmont? Prety cool joint and a nice size parking lot.

Spin

start off with a monthly ride. shows are a lot of work rides are easy get together with a few other guys and thats how the snowball starts rolling. once you get a decent group together then try to do a show.

Back