Hub gear experts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys,
Been lurking here for a while, but now I have a question.
Not much of rat rod scene here in Australia, at least in Sydney. (mostly race bikes and lycra or fixies if you're a trendy kid)
But I'm slowly piecing together my own frankenbike on the cheap.

So that's my intro, here's my question.

I recently came across this on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330798593038?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
As you'll see it's SRAM gear hub, for what I think is an awesome deal. (at least by aussie standards, it's an expensive country)

But you know what they say, if something seems to good to be true...
So would you guys who know better than me mind taking a look and see if there's anything I missed in the pic
or any sneaky words in the description that means I'd be getting a great deal on a paper weight.

Cheers,
- L

Hello and welcome!

One thing to note is that the listing still has 6½ days left so it's likely only been live for 12hours, since 7 is the standard auction length :wink:
Regardless, it looks legitimate.. though you'd have to be a little more specific when buying a shifter than the seller makes it sound. Each company makes their own "indexing", which is the length that each click of the shifter pulls the cable. And with internal shifters, it's very critical in order for the bike to shift properly.

Good luck! And post some progress photos of the bike you're working on.

Thanks!

8 day auction on this one, and it's the second time it's been up, first round was $100 with zero bids.

I didn't think of that with the shifter.
Can you use friction shifters with gear hubs?

Verrt said:
I didn't think of that with the shifter.
Can you use friction shifters with gear hubs?
Not really. You need to unload the pedal slightly when shifting, and an imperfect positioning will leave you running tiny planetary gears on their edge. with a good chance of wiping off the ends of the teeth.

Latest posts

Back