Hub Guru's, A Little Help? (Morrow)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm refurbishing a Morrow coaster for a project and I've never done one before. I know guys swear by the endurance of these particular hubs but this sure is one unnecessarily complicated wad of pieces. Can somebody give me some guidance in respect to the way two particular parts shown below are supposed to engage?

Before:
IMAG0412.jpg

During:
IMAG0414.jpg

The next photo shows the two parts that I'm unsure about. These pieces have a spring and a retainer washer between them, but they do fit together in a "tongue and groove" fashion, but since they're both threaded I just don't know how they should sit on the axle in relation to one another, should there be space between the tongue and groove, or should they both be threaded on the axle simultaneously so each part cannot turn independently of the other?
The axle was so nasty inside when I disassembled it I wasn't able to make heads or tales of the pieces until they were cleaned.
MorrowHub.jpg

They thread on the axel together with no space between them. Thread the sleeve first onto the axel till the slot end is flush with the end of the axel and then thread the anchor end with it fully engaged into the sleeve. Thread them both on far enough to leave equal lenghts on each end of the axel for mounting in the frame. Hope this helps!

The COOLEST part of all, I'm building a very special-to-me '39 bike, I had those crusty wheels hanging in my shop for a few months trying to figure out what to use them on. Discovered the bike I'm building used a Morrow hub as OEM, and when I de-crusted that hub it's got a date stamp of I-4, 4th quarter 1939!!!!!
Booyaaa! Almost like destiny.....

I know it's pretty unbelievable how worn those teeth are, more like hooks, yet the interior of the hub and bearings is, for all intents, fine. The bike it's going on probably won't see 10 more miles in it's life though, so I may leave it like that for a while until it bugs me too much.

Latest posts

Back