Hub questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on a chopper with 26" wheels. I'd like a coaster brake set up rathre then a 6 speed set up. I don't want to mess with a shifter and hand brakes.

Unfortunately I only have a 20" wheel with a coaster brake. I do however have several 26"- 6 speed doaner bikes.

Is there any way for me to mix and match parts to get a 26" coaster set up? Can I 'strip' the cassette off the multi-speed hub and swap out the coaster guts or are the parts incompatible?

One concerns is that the 6 speed shimano hubs are too wide for my frame plus I need the coaster brakes.

Any ideas?

Spud

new_dharma is right, if you have the same number of spokes on the 26' rim and your coaster hub, you can simply build a wheel with those two. Check out sheldon brown for wheel building how to's. It looks scary, but it's very simple.

Depends on the age of the coaster. The old Bendix were built much better than the current crop of chinese crap I have been seeing. If it is a good older hub I would take a shot at wheel building, just make sure the rim and the hub have the same number of holes...been there done that and it don' work! :shock: I have a Bendix Red Stripe two speed that I am going to build into a wheel as soon as I can find a freakin' rim for sale in the correct size....

Aaron 8)

wahoonc said:
(snip) I have a Bendix Red Stripe two speed that I am going to build into a wheel as soon as I can find a freakin' rim for sale in the correct size....

Aaron 8)

ditto... I have a Shimano 333 36-hole hub that I want to build (or have built if I lose my nerve) into a 20-inch wheel, but I gotta find a 36-hole 20-inch rim first, preferably chrome steel as opposed to aluminum since it's going on an old musclebike.

although I can probably find a yard-sale Wal-Mart BMX bike with a matching pair of 36-hole aluminum 20s. hmmm...

--rick

Hey ParkRNDL..
here's my 20 Inch Shimano 333.
It's on my 1969 Northern Cycle ( Norco )

I love it..it shifts like a dream,
I'll see if anyone up here has kicking around,
when I'm on my next Cruiser Ride.

peace,
Kev.
0087.jpg

0079.jpg

0086.jpg

those stick shifts are SOOO COOOOOL.... :D

i'm gonna run the grip shifter because I have it,... but if I ever found a stick shift like that I'd use it in a heartbeat...

--rick

FWIW, if you can find this shifter, it does both Sturmey Archer and Shimano.

shifter.jpg

hmmm. interesting. thanks for the tip. are my eyes playing tricks on me, or does that little gold shield at the top right corner of the card say "Royce Union"?

--rick

Latest posts

Back