Huffy Bull Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know anything about a Huffy Bull Cruiser? I bought it mainly for the bars. What year is this approximately? Was it named after the bars, or were the bars named after the bike, since these are called Bullmoose bars?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/ ... 1217730297

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/ ... 1217730347

BullMoose bars- one set is NOS:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/ ... 1217730387

Bike named after the bars.Bullhorn bars-bull-cruiser bike.neat bars,loads of early Mtn. bikes started with similar styles of bullhorn bars,Not just Huffy.
-Kreep-

For what it's worth, I heard a story about those bars. Tom Ritchey supposedly invented that style of bars sometime in early 1980. He was riding Repack in Marin and had a pair of the old cruiser bars break while riding with the guys. He had just started building the frames and forks for Gary and Charlie's 'MountainBikes' company and added the bars to the line up. The aluminum versions were very problematic and prone to catastrophic failure. When Sinyard from Specialized launched the StumpJumper a year or two later, those bikes didn't come with Bullmoose bars because they hadn't started knocking them off in the Orient yet. It wasn't until the StumpJumper's second year that they appeared. Within a couple of years, every 'mountain bike' had steel bullmoose bars until flat bars came into vogue.

I have a set of those in my garage on my trike project. It came off of a Huffy Scout I got around 86 or so. By far my favorite set of bars ever.

Here they are painted black.

IMG_0252.jpg

After looking at the Bull Cruiser it is the exact same bike as my old scout just a different color scheme.

klunkerbill said:
For what it's worth, I heard a story about those bars. Tom Ritchey supposedly invented that style of bars sometime in early 1980. He was riding Repack in Marin and had a pair of the old cruiser bars break while riding with the guys. He had just started building the frames and forks for Gary and Charlie's 'MountainBikes' company and added the bars to the line up. The aluminum versions were very problematic and prone to catastrophic failure. When Sinyard from Specialized launched the StumpJumper a year or two later, those bikes didn't come with Bullmoose bars because they hadn't started knocking them off in the Orient yet. It wasn't until the StumpJumper's second year that they appeared. Within a couple of years, every 'mountain bike' had steel bullmoose bars until flat bars came into vogue.

Good story! Those are cool bars.

from what i gather, those style mountain bike bars faded out in the 80's due to failures.
they used to be on all the cheapo mountain bikes around these parts, but ended up becoming a seroius liability.

i gotta be honest, those bars remind me of all the 1980's ugly mountain bikes i loved to hate!
i'm having a hard time believing you guys actually think there cool.

:lol: I got a pair too.. but we always ran BMX or MC bars in the day,

the early flat style MTB bars failed all the time too, I didn't trust any of em till they started making decent cro-mo ones in the 90's

Here is my version. Dont worry the previous owner all ready cut 6 inches off for their fixi.
And I gave them away as a Christmas present.
S5002856.jpg

S5002858.jpg

The origin of the "Bullmoose" bar has roots in the cro-mo Vector Bars from about '81.
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=30033

These were replicated in thin wall mild steel for cheap MTB's - hence the failures. I remember the first Stumpjumper I ever saw had these bars. Of course, that was about '82, and I was riding Puch's attempt at a mountainbike. 12 speeds, Suntour gruppo and aluminum bars with a roadie-style stem. I raced that bike until I sold it in '87, and joined the Navy.

Anyway, when I was racing, anybody running what you now call a bullmoose bar was either running Vectors or a copy of them made by whatever frame builder they were racing for.

its also wierd how much those bars effect riding position.

i used to ride a lot of bmx bikes(dirt freestyle etc)
i remember my first ride on a mountain bike.
it belonged to a friend, brand new with those style bars.
shot down the street and back again, and then i tried hoping the curb.
with the forward riding position the bars create, there was alot more weight on the front wheel than i ever expected. yeah, i mangled that front rim, barely hoping a couple inches off the ground. :roll:
jer was some pissed!

Latest posts

Back