Huffy Rail basket case

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I went to go pick up a shorty Huffy frame with a funky springer and while I was there I discovered a Rail in pieces. Couldn't pass that up. The chainguard and the crank are a little messed up and it is a little crusty but its all there with the exception of the shifter. Not sure if I will put it back together, or sell it to somebody looking for a restoration project.

Could someone please explain what's special about the Huffy Rail? I remember a guy on the local Craigslist persistently posting a WTB ad for a Huffy Rail, and I've heard a few people gush about them since then.

Actually, now that I notice it, you're in Wisconsin too ... if you're looking to make a little money, you might want to check out the Appleton craigslist. I moved away from that area a couple months ago, but at least up until that point there had been someone looking for a Huffy Rail frame.

The main reason people are looking for Rails is the longer frame. It is one of the few muscle bikes a grown person can actually ride. Add to that the fact that they weren't as popular or well built as the Schwinn's so there aren't as many floating around.

I saw that weird fork but decided to pass, can't believe he had a rail too. On the bright side I picked up 2 1952 schwinns in Oshkosh on Sunday for cheap .

Is the Men's Schwinn missing the top bar? I tried to get those too but it seems you were really on top of that one. The guy I bought these from has all kinds of weird stuff but he is weird about showing it off or talking about his bikes. I have bought some sweet muscle from him in the past so I knew he had more goodies.

I called the guy Saturday night and told him I'd be there by Sunday morning by 10. He called me at 930 saying basically the deal was off if I wasn't there by 10. He had gotten a bunch of emails while he slept and realized his price was to good. I got there at 955, he wasn't excited to be selling but lived up to his end...even threw in 2 extra schwinn wheels. Yes the top bar was chopped and both have a coast or two of house paint. Other then that real nice the mens bike has a Springer and the women's is skip toothed.

Could someone please explain what's special about the Huffy Rail?
What's been said... longer frame for adults, more rare than a Schwinn... and... well... just look at it! (Mine will look a lot like this when done)

judge4.jpg~original

So George, what is your plan with it?

I'm guessing, based on what I see, that it's a '69. You can find the serial number on the outside left dropout. Should start with a 9, maybe an 8. H or C after that means where is was built, the rest is just production number.

Starts with an 8 followed by an H. Does that mean it is a 68?

Yes, that is a 1968 Rail, manufactured in Dayton, OH. The H is for the Dayton plant. C was the CA plant. Cool find!

Latest posts

Back