~~~ Huffy Rod ~~~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
Now I know why tennis player have huge muscles on their serving arm! Between the hand sanding and polishing this thing just screams HOt Rod! Very Rare NOS Huffy lark Push/Pull shifter changing gears on a real cool skip tooth cog. Wheels are Worksman Ultralites spoked on HD Drum brakes. NOS Spaceliner seat. Just need to hook up the brakes and add a fender light and shes's good to go!

Now I can get started on my RRBBO bike! LOL :shock:

From this:
HuffRick1.jpg

To this!
HuffyRod1.jpg

HuffyRod2.jpg

HuffyRod3.jpg

HuffyRod4.jpg

Oh man now thats just bad asssss! I LOVE THAT! i gotta goto school. TTYL!

That is a great idea. perfect addition of components also. As alway over the top.

Did you Clear coat the metal.

WOW

WOW!! :!: :shock:
MANY Silver Kings are now jealous...and Phantoms, just step aside

awsome work and attention to detail. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

yes,I'm liking it ALOT.

If it ever gets in your way up there...feel free to send it down here to Central Jersey!

That's just great. (no sarcasm)
I'd hate to see the before with no after, but you've pretty much kept it original condition in my book, just making it look better.

I noticed in the second picture there is another bike with the similiar metal theme going on. Can you show that one? Man that is sick lookin. It really works for that model. I think the fact that there is so much it makes it look real good. Now for a bike that is minimalistic, it might not pop like yours does...

Thanks for the kudos!

Thanks for the compliments! I went to add the brakes and found my bars didn't work and so I had to find a new set and that necessitated other changes, so I will take some new pics with the mods and the Wayyyy Cool Seiss fender light I added!

Thanks, Joe

The in progress pics - if there were some - would be of me stripping paint using paint remover, scraping and then wet sanding using 600 wet, followed by Mother Metal polish. That takes care of th main parts. Dropouts had to be spread a bit to fit the rear wheel and the shifter assembly had to be tinkered with for about two hours before I got it right. I lost the directions on how to adjust it, so I had to adjust try, adjust try, adjust try and repeat this until it worked. I got one brake hooked up this afternoon and took it for a ride. I had to raise the seat a bit to get the ride height adjusted but other than that this thing runs strong and it very fast for a bike that still has all the steel frame bits. The use of the Ultralite wheels saved a lot of weight. Well on to my RRBBO bike - as with all bikes this one just evolved in a slightly different direction with the purchase of two vintage pieces from this mornings swap meet. Stay Tuned!@

Oh yeah, you asked about the sprocket. It is a weird unit that was used on Sears SPyder bikes of the 24" variety. I have never seen it other than on that bike. It is marked 333 and requires a special hub removal tool ( of which none existed in the 8 LBS I tried. So we made one, well we modified an existing one to work. And because I did not have the right size spacer I just doubled up on the nuts to fill in the spacing between dropouts.

Firewalker said:
like to have seen how you went about this build it looks great! may I ask were did you ever find that sproket?

I have the same rear drum and 333 freewheel setup. I had the same problem removing the cassette. The LBS didnt have the right tool but they used a spanner to remove it.
1007071328.jpg

Latest posts

Back