Huffy Slangshot (formerly the Crusty Cougar)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too, but substitute the workout equipment for furniture. My wife collects chairs. Does anyone actually put cars in there?

Good to know I'm not alone, but do you guys have a banana tree in the corner? :rockout:

20200126_091422.jpg

As luck would have it I stumbled across a dirt cheap Huffy Exercise bike today. I saw the white speedo with a non-black cable and figured it might actually say HUFFY so PERFECT!
Screenshot_20200129-134312_Google.jpg

What I never realized before is that the left handed drives on these are actually just right handed drives flipped upside down. This means that the needle on a normal speedo would only go up if you were pedaling in reverse. They couldn't put the speedo on the right side because of the chain and sprocket so it had to run off the left. To overcome this problem Huffy elected to simply run the needle backwards. Kind of cool but also kind of unsettling! My brain has a hard time accepting a gauge running backwards but I think I'm going to give it a try.
20200129_132857.jpg

As luck would have it I stumbled across a dirt cheap Huffy Exercise bike today. I saw the white speedo with a non-black cable and figured it might actually say HUFFY so PERFECT!
View attachment 112661
What I never realized before is that the left handed drives on these are actually just right handed drives flipped upside down. This means that the needle on a normal speedo would only go up if you were pedaling in reverse. They couldn't put the speedo on the right side because of the chain and sprocket so it had to run off the left. To overcome this problem Huffy elected to simply run the needle backwards. Kind of cool but also kind of unsettling! My brain has a hard time accepting a gauge running backwards but I think I'm going to give it a try.
View attachment 112662
Ha-Ha! Funny! BUT, on a bike named slang shot, should a gauge go any other way but reverse? Lol

Match made in heaven if u ask me!

LETTING MY FINK FLAG FLY!!!!

Final piece before pics!!!!

I discovered a DIY banner with blank white canvas pennants and I went to town. I would up making 3 different versions so I could experiment with a few things. 1st i drew an image with a sharpie and then put it up to the light so i could duplicate the reverse image (no writing!) on the back side of the flag. Next I boiled up some tea and gave them a soak. I did all three for different times and with some variation regarding how entirely submerged they were. I also experimented with different color sharpies to see what might look the best. Finally I got a traditional orange safety flag and snipped the flag part off the fiberglass rod. After that all I had to do was slip on the new flag and paint the white rod to give it some age.
20191214_223602.jpg
20191214_233452.jpg
20191214_233448.jpg
20191214_234615.jpg
20191215_082842.jpg
20191215_082812.jpg
20191228_183801.jpg
20191228_183730.jpg
this last pic is an attempt to show how I aged the fiberglass rod. I have also gone over the bike for any shiny bits and given them a similar dirt/rust touch up.
20191217_225937.jpg

I made 2 Roth and one Mopar inspired flags but ultimately decided that the classic Rat Fink was the most fitting.

It's a cool one brother. I like it!
The name change is perfect.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back