Huffy Tandem.......year?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I got one to trying to figure the year
063fc627c7027f110c4d207c608cc2e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there serial numbers on these? If so where? Those chain rings started in the 60s and continued into the 80s from what I've found.
If there is a serial type number on the head tube starts with HC then a string of numbers its 70s or 80s and the 3 digits after HC will tell month & year.
Iirc on the left droupout most were a single digit then H followed my more digits and the first digit will be the last # of the year so 9h****** would be 69 more than likely

Is there serial numbers on these? If so where? Those chain rings started in the 60s and continued into the 80s from what I've found.
If there is a serial type number on the head tube starts with HC then a string of numbers its 70s or 80s and the 3 digits after HC will tell month & year.
Iirc on the left droupout most were a single digit then H followed my more digits and the first digit will be the last # of the year so 9h****** would be 69 more than likely

I have serious doubts about that HC prefix dating system that is floating around online. The reason I do is because of the head tube HC serial Huffy I have with HC3470706. It's highly likely a 1980's Huffy. It's a 3 speed light weight badged with stickers for Coast to Coast. The 3 speed hub is a Shimano 3S which is 80's and original tot he bike. They came after the Shimano 333 hubs. The only thing that would make sense on my serial is calling the 3 March and the next number 4 as 1984. But that is wild guessing on my part.

I have serious doubts about that HC prefix dating system that is floating around online. The reason I do is because of the head tube HC serial Huffy I have with HC3470706. It's highly likely a 1980's Huffy. It's a 3 speed light weight badged with stickers for Coast to Coast. The 3 speed hub is a Shimano 3S which is 80's and original tot he bike. They came after the Shimano 333 hubs. The only thing that would make sense on my serial is calling the 3 March and the next number 4 as 1984. But that is wild guessing on my part.

I've seen signs of 3 versions of the HC dating that seem to pan out or at least be very close.
My friend has his older brothers bike that was bought new in 1985 for Christmas and it has HC758***** so we figured it was July 1985.

I agree its a bit strange but can give a guess as to date.

I'll guess 1970. There's no BMA sticker on the seat tube, so it's pre 1971 I think. There doesn't seem to be a red stripe on the one speed hub which was made until 1970 if memory serves, so it may be a 1970 Bendix coaster brake hub. Of course it could be a different brand hub altogether. A serial number may shed some light.

edit: I looked again and it looks like that is a red band Bendix one speed coaster, the red band on the hub is covered with dirt and oil. So it may be a 60's bike.

I've seen signs of 3 versions of the HC dating that seem to pan out or at least be very close.
My friend has his older brothers bike that was bought new in 1985 for Christmas and it has HC758***** so we figured it was July 1985.

I agree its a bit strange but can give a guess as to date.

That does work out logically in that case since the year of purchase is known. Maybe that is the correct method for Huffy in the 80's. Sadly we may never know since the Chinese ended up with the company and I guess pitched the older serial # data.

My parents had a nearly identical blue one from mid seventies with much crappier seats, no front brake, slightly narrower apes in the front, and a Mexican Bendix 76. If it has really thick spokes, you probably have stock wheels, so the hub style and brake arm markings may help narrow it down.

Latest posts

Back