I found a few pre 1900s bikes today!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow did I get super lucky today! Found all three of these 1890s bikes today

First
This one is a Shaft drive Crescent safety bike, and I love it! :mrgreen:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

NEXT is a 1890s Fowler safety bike. It is SUPER TALL! Rod front brake and super cool front coaster pegs!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST!!!

The only 20 inch 1890s safety bike I have ever seen! It has 20 inch wood wheels!! So very cool!!

here in town. I also bought another girls bike, a girls frame and fork, as well as a few wood wheels, hubs, NOS chains and a couple of Heavy chain tires. It was a nice little cash of bikes.

thesuicideride said:
youre tellin me these gems where sitting within THREE hours from my life! man what a score!
Yep, right here in bloomington! It was a wild find! I walked into an antique store here in town that I don't go in very offten because most of the the junk in there is way over priced. When I got to the back all of these were sitting there and I could not believe the prices needless to say they were way low. I asked to guy that owns the place what the deal was and he said one of his friends was about 80 and had just decided they had to go. He gave him a call and I made him an offer on all of it. It was pretty low and I was shocked when he said yes. So I filled up the van and came home with a big smile and a great stack of bikes!

rustymotors said:
thesuicideride said:
youre tellin me these gems where sitting within THREE hours from my life! man what a score!
Yep, right here in bloomington! It was a wild find! I walked into an antique store here in town that I don't go in very offten because most of the the junk in there is way over priced. When I got to the back all of these were sitting there and I could not believe the prices needless to say they were way low. I asked to guy that owns the place what the deal was and he said one of his friends was about 80 and had just decided they had to go. He gave him a call and I made him an offer on all of it. It was pretty low and I was shocked when he said yes. So I filled up the van and came home with a big smile and a great stack of bikes!

Sweet deal man, I need to check my antique shops more often. Maybe I'll give them a few business cards to give people.

rustymotors said:
thesuicideride said:

the one across from ghetto kroger?

No there is one on the other side of town on the way out. It has been there for a couple of years but I had only been in there a couple of times, before today that is. I am sure glad I stopped. I don't go in antique shopd very offten, and today was just a whim. I think I might start going to more of them more offten :mrgreen: but I suppect this won't happen again for a while.

I put the wheels on the little 20 incher. I am not sure but it might be the keeper out of this haul. Here is a pic of it with the wheels on and one with a regular wood wheel sitting in front of it.

Here is a question. I have zero experience with such old antique bikes so please pardon me if it's a stupid one. Does one ride it like model t's in a parade or are they strictly museum pieces to be displayed behind a velvet rope never to be sit on again? Just wondering.

Spokeshave said:
Here is a question. I have zero experience with such old antique bikes so please pardon me if it's a stupid one. Does one ride it like model t's in a parade or are they strictly museum pieces to be displayed behind a velvet rope never to be sit on again? Just wondering.
Here is the problem with riding them. The tires are extremely expensive, and I mean $$$$. There was a set of them on Epay last week that sold for $700.00, and there is no substitute modern tire that will work. Even the repops are $300.00 + per set. I have seen them being riden at swap meets, but they usualy have had the wheels changed out for modern steel ones. I think they are mostly displayed. My wife told me I should hang one on the wall behind the couch :mrgreen: so I am all for display.

Latest posts

Back