I guess I need to open a museum...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got this one today.
IMG_0838.jpg

I had stopped by my local "pawn shop" and it was outside...I thought 'cool! a match for my '73.." I bought it and after I got it home I realized that it wasn't a 23" frame but a 20" just like my Varsity...
IMG_0637.jpg

In fact they are both 1970...And according to Bob Hufford:

"10... speed. This is the first year for this model. Basically it replaced the Varsity tourist but has painted fenders and a painted tubular fork. The 10 speed has 38 to 100 gear range, stem shifters and a chain wheel guard."

So they're brothers!
IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

However. the fun thing is that the Suburban has it's S/N# stamped on the left rear dropout. While the Varsity has it's S/N# on the head tube. 'BF' and 'JF', respectivly...
IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

The reason the Suburban caught my eye was that the decals were in pretty good shape:
IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

And the gooseneck was one I hadn't see before...
IMG_0841.jpg

And the pedals were in relativly good shape:
IMG_0842.jpg

So after riding it there is some issue with the front end to sort out, bent fork, wheel that needs truing...No problem...

And now for the first exhibit: Variations On A Theme: Early 1970's Schwinn Diamond Frame Roadsters (In Sierra Brown):
IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

Thanks for lookin'! :mrgreen:

All very nice.

Thanks! Now that I have "enough" (can we ever have ENOUGH?) I think I might customize the 1973 Suburban (that's the 23" frame one...) I thinkin' gloss black and gold pin stripes... :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back