I had to buy it- it matches my truck!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this one at the Twin Cities Roadsters swap meet today.

c9db29536f2387336f404362417222bc.jpg

The bike is definitely a "30 footer", meaning it looked good from about 30 feet away. :lol:
The old 'good from far, but far from good'.

I went to the swap with a friend that his been in the bicycle industry for over 20 years. He's a great guy to have with me when I go to the swaps because he is quick to point out the many flaws on an old bike I might be drooling over that I would probably overlook. I've learned a lot from just walking around with him and saved LOTS of $$$ in the process.

This bike is an old Monark. I don't know the exact date yet but it is a post-skip tooth era bike and I'd guess it to be from the mid-to late 50's.

My friend pointed out EVERY reason to just walk away from this one. The chain guard is bent, the rear of the frame is bent, the fork is bent, the handle bars are bent, missing a truss rod,etc, etc, etc...
But I still had to ask how much. :wink:

The seller started asking ME questions about the Ike. He had thought it was much older. He asked for an offer and I told him the most I'd go would be $20. He told me he wanted $30 and I pointed out all of the various damage to the bike. He agreed to $20. 8) I rolled it about 10 feet when the front wheel locked up and I had to carry it. :oops:
My friend just rolled his eyes :roll:

6c6bc3a2d37b2abe8f2b76214edf449a.jpg

It's my goal to prove to him that this wasn't a terrible investment. A least I know the head badge is good so there is at least one part that isn't bent.

Even with the damage an missing parts 20 isn't a big loss if you can't fix it you can hang it up for decoration

I have to say it does match your truck .. Its worth what you paid just to take the photo with the truck . Your truck looks like its in better mechanical condition than the bike.. Just frame the bike like a photo & hang the bike on the wall ... :lol:

definitely worth the $20 and having to carry it for a bike that almost matches your truck
I say paint some scallops on the truck in that cream/white color and get a rear rack for the bike and then they really will be twins

Thanks for the idea, I'll tell my wife that I want to buy an Old Truck to match my Old Bike. Cool! Oh, I have 18 bikes, that's a lot of trucks, ha,ha.

Good purchase, great truck.

Latest posts

Back