I lost a Great Dad

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My Dad passed away Thursday night in Florida, He had a great life, married for 60 years to my mother, raised 7 kids, started an Oil & Heating Business from scratch in the late 60's with all 7 kids at home from 2-17 yrs. old. The man worked his butt off so he could give his family a nice life. He retired young and has spent the last 25 years in Florida. 10 years ago he got Leukemia and beat it in 3 years, he was in full remission till last year when it came back. He stayed with my wife and I and 3 boys this past August for 2 weeks, I could see the once strong man very frail and breathing hard. I have been preparing myself for this day knowing it would be coming eventually But it still hurts so bad. I am confused because I thought I would lose it, I have been getting wet eyes and kind of in a daze, working to stay busy, But I don't know if it just has not hit me yet or what, My wife is taking it harder than I am. Don't get me wrong, I loved and respected this man dearly, is it wrong to not "Feel" devastated?

Thanks for listening, I just had to vent a little, Rick

Sorry of your loss. He sounds like a great man, he did his best and now is in the hands of God. He took care of his family as you will for yours. I am near the same place in my life as you are. I do as much for my 86 year old dad as I can. Every Saturday we have breakfast at my house for the past 3 years or more, today both my daughters were here for breakfast. This is something that I would truly miss. He is OK with getting old and he tells me how his father felt about getting old and how now he understands. It's lifes cycle he says and I believe he's right.
Last year my wifes mother passed away. It has been a year now and my wife still sheds a tear when her father has his moments of grief. It has been tough for all of us but we are pulling through. It has made our family stronger as you will become stronger. Talking about these things has helped me here and I hope it does the same for you. Hang in there and be strong.

Pete

i am deeply sorry for your loss. i think we grieve in different ways, some will be lost in the moment of a loved one's passing and stick only in that thought that they are gone. i try to think of all the happy memories that are locked in my head, and when as you said his health was failing that sometimes it is better for them to go rather than continue on with problems. we are all here for you my friend and my heart goes out to you. stay strong

Rick,
Sorry to hear about your dad, my condolensces.

Talk about all the good times you had and make sure the memories about him are told to all your kids so that they can pass it down.

Joe

I'm in agreement with the rest of the guys here Rick.

Really sorry to hear about your Dad's passing.

Maybe the Lord is giving you the strength to help others in your family make it through this hard time of grieving.

Thanks guys, you have all said things that touched me, You may be right Steve, it is hard watching my 2 youngest still at home deal with their first loss. The best thing is when they did come here on vacations we spent Quality time with them, the kids will definately have great memories of their own to remember. Thanks again, Rick

Sorry for your loss Rick. ....Sounds like he had a GREAT life. God has given you the grace and insight to recognize this. So NO it is not wrong, to not be devastated. Celebrate in your heart, knowing that you were partially responsible for that GREAT life......It's just the beginning for him, you'll be united again one day...Peace be with you, brother <{{{><

Rick,

I'm very sorry to hear that, and I know right were you're coming from. I lost my mom 16 years ago, and then a year and a half later I lost my dad, both to cancer. Having been there taking care of them through it all I knew it was coming, and although it hurt like heck it wasn't a shock, so I didn't find myself breaking down like people in the movies. I think different people grieve in different ways, and if you know it's coming maybe you're subconsciously prepared for it.
Keep thinking of all the good times you had with him, it helps...it did for me.

Pete

Hey Rick,Im sorry about your DAD,he sounds like a GOOD MAN and I would have liked to meet him.

Instill his values to your kids,and think about him OFTEN.You will find he is NEVER really gone...I lost my MOM

I got a song for ya. (disregard the dopey commercial at the begining)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5R-T_YF-wU

Very sorry, Rick.

Loosing parents is a right of passage that no one ever looks forward to. I think it is only until we loose one or both parents that we fully become adults. He sounds like he led a full life and you are getting by, right now (in conjunction with your every day responsibilities), with that in mind.

It will hit you soon enough, but don't resist it. We all need to take this time for ourselves in order to deal with a center support column being kicked out. When you come out the other side, you will realize you are the replacement column.

May God bless you and your family.

-Rich

No , It's not wrong how you are feeling. Hang in there We are so sorry for your loss & May God Bless You all.
God Musta Needed a GOOD HVAC Guy
The hardest part 4 me was trying to talk about it at all .
I feel your pain, I kind of relive it every time I here of another dad's passing ... not a good thing.
Again Rick, So Sorry
Tearing up rite now ... LOL .... OUT

Rick, also sorry to hear of your dad's passing. My thoughts are with you and your family. He will always live in your memories. Theirs was a great generation and I think we are all better off now due to the sacrifices that they made for us. I lost my dad, mother, and mother in law all within an 11 month span a few years ago. Take care!
David

Sorry to hear about your dad. I'll be walking in your shoes before long myself. Something we all dread but it is none the less part of life. Sounds to me like your dad was a winner in the game of life. Take care. Gary

Hang in there Rick. I'm saddened by your loss and hope to see you in better shape when the weather warms up. Maybe you can tell us a Dad story or two over a few beers.

-Ian

Latest posts

Back