i need a primer primer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, tell me about 'self-etching' primer. i've been told it's a key ingredient in a good bike paint job. :?:

I think ya only need an etching primer if youre painting over a way smooth surface.I've never used it.

What ever ya use make sure the primer and paint are by the same company.

selt etching primer is a must, now that i've used it a few times i wont ever use anything different. i use cotton to 'buff' in between primer coats rather than wet sanding, leaves a wicked smooth prep for paint. the finished project is sooooooooooo much better
fast eddie

Self-etching primer is composed of an acid and zinc. The acid, usually phosphoric acid, forces the zinc down into the top couple of molecules of the steel. Chemically impregnating the steel like this cannot reverse the rust but it can stop in from getting worse.

Sherwin Williams makes a really good self etching primer in a spray can.Available at a SW auto body paint store.They also make a high build primer in a spray can.As far as I know they are the only company that offers a high build primer in a spray can.It works really great.After you use your self etching primer,scuff it with a light gray scuff pad.Then use the the high build primer to fill in any small scratches and or imperfections.For a really nice finish, before each primer and before paint ,use a grease and wax cutting prep solvent.This is a step that many leave out or ignore.The prep sol removes all the finger grease that has built up on your frame from many people touching it.This prevents paint from just falling off in the future.

Back