I need an ID, and an approximate date, please.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230528_170432.jpg
20230528_170448.jpg
20230528_170532.jpg
20230528_170400.jpg

Good evening! It's only been about 15 years since I have been "online" here. Color me ashamed...

This bike was dropped off at my house this evening by a friend and co-worker. I had seen this bike resting in the back yard about 15-17 years back before I knew the family. I had asked about it then, and was told that it was the wife's grandmother's bike, and that she did not want to get rid of it. About 7-8 years ago, the husband came to work with us, and he and I got along pretty well. Last night, he and the missus were cleaning around the yard, and they decided it was time to get rid of the bike. This afternoon, I have a new toy.

I don't believe the rack is original to the bike, nor is the kickstand. Possibly the chainguard either. It appears by the rear axle and the back of the rear fender that the bike used to have a "bike stand." The bike has no headbadge or any writing anywhere on the bike that I can see. All the bearings turn. The brake is a New Departure Model D. Anyhoo, I am looking to find any kind of information I can about this bike before I start a rebuild.

Thank you for your help.
Eric

1930s for sure, and maybe early in that decade. The snowflake chainring strongly suggests it's an Elgin, perhaps even an Elgin Cardinal. I'm not certain when the Model D hub came into wide use, but that could help narrow the date down.

Opera Snapshot_2023-05-28_202505_thecabe.com.png

That is awesome 😎 👍🏼

Guys, thank you for your help. As always, I am appreciative of everyone's knowledge and experience. Now to start looking for a headbadge and what color to paint it. Ha!

Eric

Latest posts

Back