I need double rim skematics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im not from sact. but........
br&k has the how too minus the welding part :wink:
anyhow...since no one has answered this yet ill walk you through it(i havent done it myself but its a fairly basic deal.)...

first: get 2 wheels that are the same size(i would recommend 2 new ones since if they have a bow or are out of round it could bite you if you dont catch it before making them solid.) make sure that they are actually the same size(ive seen some wheels that are labeled 26" but are over a 1/4" off in height....gotta love chinese made stuff :roll: ) ,round,and same hole count. if that all checks out unlace them,stick them on something flat, line up all youre holes so the spoke pattern is the same and even on both wheels,get four 2"x4" s so you will have a flat surface to keep them even. clamp the 2x4s one across from the other and do the same in between the 2 already clamped. get a square and make sure everything is level and square...if it isnt...GET IT RIGHT! once thats done, clamp the wheels together(the inner flanges/rim beads? whatever theyre called) and then check to make sure everythings square and level still(if not get it where it needs to be)....once it is tack in the open space 1 tack per gap(between the vise grips and 2x4s). let it cool down with out force cooling it. then move the 2x4 jig and clamps,recheck for square/level and then tack in between where the clamps used to be(let coll,etc,etc.) just tack opposite of the last tacks you did until you get about 3/4" or 1/2 of unwelded space then you can run a small bead if you want or just keep tacking the same way until theyre solid.
grind them down so they dont pop your tubes,relace them just the same as you normally would (just skip every other hole on one wheel and every other opposite whole on the other wheel.....) this part i cant really say....but maybe someone who has done this method will help you guys.....i dont know if the spoke that were on the wheels will work anymore or if youll need to get new ones cut.

hope that helps....if i had a functioning memory card reader id do a step by step but mines beyond dead :x
good luck!

Just a little fly in the ointment, the rims I want to use are aluminum, so I need to farm out the welding but here's what I am using.
013-2.jpg

Gold Street Customs said:
Just a little fly in the ointment, the rims I want to use are aluminum, so I need to farm out the welding but here's what I am using.
013-2.jpg
Are those Pro Class wheels Jim?!

Latest posts

Back