i want to buy...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Luck!......I'm sure it'll need MORE then that.........I just spent $1650 on parts, for my 94 Suburban. It would have cost at least $4000 to have it done in a shop. It was worth it...........If you can do all the work yourself, go for it.

my parents still consider their '64 chevy station wagon to be the best vehicle they ever had. lots of good memories :D

i think its worth it, i just wanted to toss it in this section since ive never been in here. :roll: the guy says it needs a lot of work to be a nice cruiser, but im not looking for nice. i want it to be cool, yet be able to get me back and forth from school everyday. he bluntly told me he got the car for parts, but sold the car he was gonna put them on. so my luck someone wanted his other impala. 8)

A good rule of thumb with a classic car. Look up "pristine/mint" value of the car you are interested in. take the asking price of the particular car you are contimplating and add to that cost the pristine price plus half the pristine price and that equals the total cost of the vehicle.

for instance.

car you are looking at, pristine is worth about $6000 (guestimate but good enough for our purposes) so my formula goes like this:

800 + 6000 + 3000 = 9800 dollars.

So the car you are looking at will cost you approximatlly $10,000 when you are done restoring, customizing, etc. This does not include your personal time/labor.

This is how my father-in-law has made his buying decisions for about 30 years. It's worked quite well. He has several classics built from ground up that are still worth more than he has into them.

wow. thats quite a bit of money. but my idea with this car is to keep it as long as possible, if i even get to buy it. so id definitly get my 10 grand, if i did spend that much on it. what id like to eventually do is new interior, re paint, steelies with blackwall tires, shave some trim, and lower it with air bags. my plan is to keep the car as cool and cheap as possible. thanks guys! i had the thought of a deep blood red metallic suede paint with the same color metalflake top, with black steelies, and a mostly all white vinyl interior.

I have probably had at least 35 to 40 cars in my lifetime mostly used,I look at whatever I am paying compared to what I would replace to know the car is safe if you have one tie rod end wearing out, replace them both as who knows how much longer the other one will last, brakes,replace em all unless the previous owner documented what work was done, to take someones word on work that was done can be questionable, for instance if they say they overhauled the engine. Was that a Krylon rebuild or did the engine actually get rebuilt right. Just dont jump in to anything to unless you do your homework.

Yeah,its from Florida...but how much time did it spend in Detroit (since 1965?)

Its only a BelAir and a 4 door at that.

Keep looking,you'll find better.

I am a former '64 Impala owner and I like them ALOT!

im planning to email the guy and see if we can meet to go over the car, so i can judge if its right or not. ive been around a lot of cars for sale, and every one has this bad vibe, except for two, that i just couldnt buy. :roll: :cry:

i've ownd plenty of 50s and 60s cars, so i kinda know what i'm sayin' here.
this is only my opinion. it aint carved in stone.

what the others have said...this is not an impalla. the impalla has 3 tail lights on each side. i think it's a bel-air.
the hierarchy on these cars(from '58 to the mid 70s) was....
top of the line-impalla
mid line- bel-air
econo- biscane

all of these models came in 2 or 4 door versions.
the model name was the amount of trim that was on the car.
you could get any of these models w/ a 235 srtaight 6 or a 283 V8. i think the SS version had a 327.

anyhow for 900 clams that is a good deal. even if it's a more door. it runs for a few minutes? maybe a coil? could be a 40 year old gummed up carb.
a '64 full size chevy is one of the most popular chevies ever(thanx to the lowrider scene). because of that most any part you may ever need is pretty eazy to find.
and eng,trans,susp parts can still be found at yer local napa, probably in stock.

my sugestion.....tell the guy you want it and set a time to meet him. show up w/ a trailor or flatbed. than he'll know yer serious. look around the car. mostly look for the floor(under the carpet) in the front and back seat for the rust. and also check the trunk floor. if you can see the ground thru these walk away. yes they can be fixed, but it will take money and time. sure you can do it, but sometimes money and time make people frustrated and give up on projects.
bring a friend. it's easy to get excited and buy the car w/o really thinkin' you need an impartial voice of reason w/ you.

one other thing. bring 800 bucks in yer pocket, but the other 100 in yer wallet. check out the car and kick the tires. than offer him 800 bucks. if he says no than make a joke or 2 and say you need to run down the street to hit a money machine(of course you dont).
drive to the nearest conveinience store and have a soda and a cigarette and think about it. than go back and buy it.

unless that's a flintsone-mobile that's really not a bad price.

keep us posted

well i will tell ya my 63 falcon wagon has been a pain because of all the stuff that was wrong that the po did not tell me. he straight up lied and it sucked because it was his mother's car we are the second owners and i just figured he was being straight up with what was all wrong with it. live and learn

thanks cad, thats sound advise. the guy says the lowest he'll go is 800, so that makes it easier for me. and i think its a really good deal. i dont have all the money, about 550 or so, and my brother said he might help me with the rest. so im gonna go out there and take a look see, if i like it, ill say, ill be back with the cash. and believe me i know what to look at in a car. my buddy got a 65 pontiac tempest turned gto for free. big old rusty can of worms. :roll:

beatcad said:
i think the SS version had a 327.

Huh...327?.....BIGGER!......Gary

45859250_ChevySS409flagsfocused01.jpg

In addition to Beatcad's recommendations the concerning the lower sheet metal, you should also be aware that '63-'64 was a transition period for GM, although Chevy's are the least problematic. I don't know what kind of resources you have, so I can't say whether or not you should take on some old front mount(probably not)Saginaw rust bucket, just be aware you'll probably end up spending at least as much on suspension pieces and brakes, not to mention pipes, as you did for the car. A lot of rebuild kits and single parts are no longer around for these things, so unless you know people in the business, you'll end up buying complete wheel cylinders, fuel pump, and other similar items.

my dad's friend works at napa auto parts. :wink: and thats where i found the stuff id need right off that bat for this car, assuming the guys right.

a little more advice if you do buy this car.
do not plan on replacing the coil and drivin' it. if it runs for a few minutes and than dies it could be a bad coil heating up.

anyhow.. think about all the rubber bushings and stuff. that is 45 years old. rubber brakes down. it'll all need to be replaced. if ya have the bread replace it w/ poly-urathane.

what i'm tryin' to say dont plan on drivin' this the day after ya purchace it. get it and go over it well.
plan on workin' on it until next spring or summer. not til it's pretty, but til it's safe.

i can give ya plenty of dumb stories, but i'll give ya one.
about 7 years ago i bought a '64 chevy nova. it had some issues.
i towed it to my pals house(because there was no room at mine) to get it runnin'
one hot summer saterday afternoon we got it runnin' like a champ.
a trip to pep boys for some cheapo tires, and a couple trips to NAPA for a fuel pump and some other parts.
by about 4 or 5 o'clock we had it runnin' right and thought it was ready for the road.
i unbolted the licence plate frome my daily driver and put it on the nova.
did i mention that we've been drinkin' all day?
yes we drove drove around, not on back roads. on some serious roads thru town. at the time i thought it was funny that the car wasnt taged, titled, or insured. 100% illegal. been drinkin' 100% illegal and stupid.
but now that i think back i think i was also dumb to get so excited to drive this thing that i dint pay attention to other safety items.

please learn from my mistakes. it's easy to get excited and rush, but don't.
and i'm sure i don't have to tell ya that drinkin' and drivin' is just dumb.

Latest posts

Back