If you ever wanted to see inside a nexus 3 speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this is just a quick video of what to expect when you take your 3 speed nexus apart. It loads kinda slow...just double click on the picture.

So after you clean it up do you use white lithiam greese or is there something better? Do you ever get into the whole gear cluster or does it clean up without going there?

The funny thing Maddog is there is really no gear cluster. If you pull the little clip on the axel and then slide things off one at a time ,you will see it works by changing sets of things. As it slides over another chunk takes over and starts spinning ,kinda like an auto trans in a car. I wash everything out with gas or paint thinner and then lube it back with that Phil Woods grease. It dosent take alot , just coat everything with some and then the whole part when its back together. If you slide things off and slip them on a big zip tie you wont get confused. It only goes back together one way. They are really simple once you get past the fear of the unknown.

I can jerk one of mine apart, but they are the same. just the stuff is bigger. Any 3 speed fits in any 3 speed houseing and the same with a 7 speed ,as long as they are coasters. I keep a 3 speed clean and when I get another I just swap out the guts and then clean it later. This is the first one I have seen with a broken part. The only thing I have found is the three small ears inside the sprocket will wear and they will start to clunk like the hub is messed up. Change the sprocket and they are fixed. They do get dirty inside though.

Do you know if the Nexus 7 is similar? or is it more complicated and hard to work on?

Maybe I will take one of my sevens apart tomorrow . They all are the same. I have redone each and there is nothing to them. That is the main goal in this. To show people they are so simple and there is no fear of taking one apart and cleaning and regreasing them. :lol:

I'm glad you posted this, because my brothers bike has a nexus 7 and it started to sound funny a few weeks ago from leaving the bike out in elements. He asked me if I could re-grease it, but I told him no because I was afraid there would be a bunch of pins and springs that would shoot out... I had no idea it would be that simple.

Thanks

I think you just signed up for a how to tutorial. Make it nice so I can index it in the How to Manual.

Have you taken apart a kickback hub yet?

They designed them to be a module . They come apart in one big chunk and go back the same way. There is two small springs on two little flippers that you have to be careful with. The small pins that hold them in will drop out. They are at the front ,but you will have torn it all apart before you ever get to them. My first teardown was on a junker that had a stripped axel. To get the axel out you take everything apart. Still not a big deal ,because it will only fit together one way. I didnt notice the two small pins with the little springs and one pin dropped out and the spring fell somewhere in my shop never to be seen again. I got the one with the bad axel for free so I swaped the parts and made a good one. Once I got over my fear like everybody has, I take them all apart and at least look at the condition of the grease. if they are dirty I clean them up and stick them back together. I was getting quiet a few ,but all good things come to an end. I have about 7.. 3 speeds and 3.. 7 speeds....so I figure I'm covered for a while. :lol:

Something about that kickback kinda gets me. I will take it apart ,but I dont like loose ballbearings and I'm not crazy about special tools.

I remember my fear on taking apart my first coaster brake. Now it is fairly simple on the shoe style. That Nexus 3 is even simplier.

I'm glad I had that free junk one for parts. Like this one with a broken brake shoe...just grab another out of the box. It might have still worked If I had just turned it around to where the little pin was on the slot on the other side.

Ok a little bored. I looked and I had spokes and a nice alloy rim ...so 45 minutes later I have a useable 3 speed nexus. I still have to pull it and clean the inside.

nexus3speed001.jpg

There is a rod that runs through the axel and it pushes a kinda flipper looking thing on a spring inside. As it shifts it moves a differant rotating part into play. It just dosent have gears like you would think it does. It kinda works by moving things a little and then a new set of flippers comes into play and it changes the gear ratio. Here are the parts inside one. Still not a big deal to mess with.

nparts001.jpg

These are the kinds of posts that I love to see...well documented how to's.

I moved this thread into the HOW TO forum.

It definitely needs to be added to the repair manual. :wink:

Latest posts

Back