I'm guessing this is gonna cause way too many problems.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you pay your membership ($95) and they give you a member card, its linked to a credit card probably so they can bill you for not returning the bike in time or charge you for the bike if its not returned, probably at a pretty hefty cost. They dont have anything like this around me but I've seen plenty of them in St Louis, Nashville and Chattanooga.

Yeah I saw these all over the place in Boston when I went! I saw a lot if people using them too...I'm just not sure how they work

Vintagebikelover24 said:
Yeah I saw these all over the place in Boston when I went! I saw a lot if people using them too...I'm just not sure how they work

At the bottom of the linked story it says how NYC is charging. $95 a year lets you use it for 45 minutes at a time. If you go longer they charge extra. I thought I saw heard a radio story on some town doing it for free.

g-ratter said:
Vintagebikelover24 said:

At the bottom of the linked story it says how NYC is charging. $95 a year lets you use it for 45 minutes at a time. If you go longer they charge extra. I thought I saw heard a radio story on some town doing it for free.

I feel like buying yourself a bike is less trouble! Lol only 45 minutes at a time? I ride much more that that.

I think the idea is purely for commuting from point a to point b around the city. If you have ever been there you know how much of a pain getting round is. On the other hand you need to have the guts of a daredevil to ride a bike there. Wonder what the accident rate will be.

g-ratter said:
I think the idea is purely for commuting from point a to point b around the city. If you have ever been there you know how much of a pain getting round is. On the other hand you need to have the guts of a daredevil to ride a bike there. Wonder what the accident rate will be.

Yeah, the big apple is definitely a little crowded for that type of commuting.

They have had the program in Denver for several years. I want to go to the art district I jump off the train, walk a half a block and grab a bike from the programs rack. I ride it 3 mile into the art district and put the bike in the provided bike rack / locking system and pay $1.50 and do my thing. Want to go up town I grab another bike, ride for 5 miles (on a 7 speed even) for 3 dollars.
No leaving my custom cruisers locked to a rack to be fondled, messed with and possibly stolen.

Denver's system has been extremely profitable. So much that they have doubled the number of bikes and stations in the last year and have had over 500,000 rentals in 5 years.

I just pictured in my mind, Creeps cutting tires, rattle-can painting, and otherwise defacing the bikes and locking ports. We have a lot of kids around here that feel a need to do that.

Latest posts

Back