In Search Of Cooler Weather

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last weekend when I rode the high here was 107 °F and it's not dropping anytime soon. Not much fun. So we're heading out to find somewhere cooler to ride and add a new state to our list. Hmmm where will we be going?
I'll be breaking in my new B17
DSCF4335.JPG

DSCF4351.JPG

In MA it's going to be a scorcher today...Mid 80's. So far this year we only had to use air-conditioning in the house ONCE.

aka_locojoe said:
Hmmm where will we be going?
Hint... it's not Alaska. Although we had planned on being in Alaska this week and next visiting our Daughter but things changed and she's since moved back here.

I wish it were MA but we don't have the time this trip.

North Dakota great guess but no it's still on the to-do list.

Today we rode the Medicine Bow Trail outside of Laramie, Wyoming. It's a 23 mile rail-to-trail that took us down to the Colorado border. We rode it out and back for 46 miles. It was a great beautiful trail. Way better than we expected. I think at our highest point it was 9000some feet.

Picture009.jpg

Snow.
Picture096.jpg

Moose
Picture035.jpg

Picture093.jpg

Us at one of Trail head
Picture016.jpg

AWESOME Randy...I love these riding adventures with you and your Bride!

Looking forward to seeing the trip! :D

Definitely jealous. It looks like a nice area and cool is a big plus.

The wife, kids and myself will be doing a 4-5 days of riding around Couer da 'lane in a few weeks.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments! Mitch that's no small feat, especially in that heat. The 46 miles took a toll on me. A lot of the surface was pretty soft, deep gravel and or rough and I'm riding that skinny tired rigid bike. Cman looking forward to seeing and hearing about your trip. weekend-fun I enjoy just walking around these towns checking out and photographing the local bikes.
Yesterday in route to our next destination, we took a little detour to Steamboat Springs Colorado for lunch. We spotted a bike path there in town so we did a little impromptu 13 mile ride.

DSCF4477.JPG

DSCF4503.JPG

DSCF4536.JPG

DSCF4511.JPG

DSCF4496.JPG

Today we rode in Summit County Colorado. From Frisco to Copper Mountain up Vail Pass back to Frisco then on to Breckenridge and back. 44 miles. A big accomplishment for me was riding up to the summit of Vail Pass just like we did 20 years ago. It's about a 1500 foot climb ending up at 10554 feet.

the path
IMG_6826.JPG

Me reaching the summit
DSCF4539.JPG

view from the summit
IMG_6831.JPG

or for those that don't want to earn the fun ride down
IMG_6853.JPG

cman said:
I am getting jealous. Definitely those areas will be on my list......someday.
The area we're at now (Summit County Colorado) is kind of a bike mecca. Bikes everywhere, rentals on every corner. There's several paved paths and lots of MTB trails plus at least one MTB park at a ski resort. 20 years ago we would come out here and ride the most difficult of the MTB trails but were just not up to that anymore.
We're getting ready to go ride now but my calves are sore from yesterday's hike/climb I hope I can ride.

The highway below is where we started our hike yesterday. You can also see the bike path.
IMG_6875.JPG

IMG_6880.JPG

schwinnmesa said:
Pretty cool! I noticed you have a Specialized Crossroads. Smooth rides, aren't they? VERY nice bikes.

Very nice scenery too.
Thanks.
Been a great bike. I take it on all our trips now instead of MTB. Pretty versatile. Best of all it was free and found by the wife.

Last ride of our trip Dice Hill in Colrado. Video.. http://youtu.be/pDna2id2Oks

Earlier I mentioned MTB park at a ski resort. Last night in Frisco we found this new MTB/snow sports park.
IMG_6902.JPG

IMG_6910.JPG

Bike shop in Steamboat Springs
DSCF4491.JPG

Bike shop in Laramie
DSCF4440.JPG

This in an area we like to go sight seeing
DSCF4544.JPG

A couple years ago I recall mentioning a "snow fence" which some had never seen and/or heard of. Here's one in Wyoming. A little grander than what we have here in Kansas.
DSCF4398.JPG

Awesome stuff Randy, I never get tired of your posts and letting us tag-a-long, the commentary is entertaining as well :)

CCR said:
Awesome stuff Randy, I never get tired of your posts and letting us tag-a-long, the commentary is entertaining as well :)

Thanks!

This trip makes 32 states plus Canada we've ridden in with 30 of them being rails-to-trails. Map with links here if anyone's interested.

Just a few final random photos from the trip...

DSCF4520.JPG

DSCF4516.JPG

DSCF4528.JPG

IMG_6845.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

Latest posts

Back